How fast does a car need to be travelling to jump 4ft, land on a tesla and then clear a building?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was reading about the Range Rover that ended up on the tracks at Park Royal station this morning.

The car left the A40. Flew over the parameter wall of the Tesla sales store. Landed on a Tesla and then flew over the platform roof of Park Royal tube station, before finally ending on on the tracks. At a guess it must have reached an elevation of at least 12 ft.

Sponsored Links
I saw the wreck on the news channel, and I thought it must have been going some speed to end up like that.
I thought at first it had been hit by a train, but not so.

Kinell. How fast does a RR go? I'd guess it was going that fast!

Sorry you can't work out how fast it was going from the 4ft.. You'd need the angle of the ramp if it were an Eddie Kidd situation, but it will have bounced too.
You might be able to see how far it went between frames on the video?
If it left the ground at about 10mph vertically it would have risen about 4ft, ( a 5° slope at 120mph) but ...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Erm.. I have just noticed that the twitter link says that t was travelling at 120mph, not sure if that is speculation or not

Top spec Range Rover tops 140mph with a 0 to 60 in well under 6 seconds. Not sure I'd want to sit in a 4 tonne plus steel box doing that, though

I am amazed that only one of the passengers died. The third passenger has "minor injuries".

Some indication of the strength of modern vehicles.

A mate of mine’s wife was scared that she would scratch the RRv8 when trimming a plant.
so she decided to move it.
The thing took off like a bat out of hell and crossed the garden, through a fence, across a road, 20 feet of grass and hit a tree in seconds. it Was an auto.
the fence was 6 feet high and the road was used as a shortcut by kids at the school.
very lucky nobody was hurt

A mate of mine’s wife was scared that she would scratch the RRv8 when trimming a plant.
so she decided to move it.
The thing took off like a bat out of hell and crossed the garden, through a fence, across a road, 20 feet of grass and hit a tree in seconds. it Was an auto.
the fence was 6 feet high and the road was used as a shortcut by kids at the school.
very lucky nobody was hurt

sounds like the old "put her foot on the accelerator thinking it was the brake" mistake.

the faster it goes and the more scared they get, the harder they press.

Anyone else remember the DAF 66? Dual cone drive automatic. There was an interlock, but it was up to the quality of the rest of the car. If the idle was set high it just took off :) .

Mate had a summer job as a milkman. The 3 wheel electric "floats"
1661205484725.png

had a similar problem. He went maximum speed into a wall - fully loaded. Alll that momentum... :( .:cry:

I see Glasgow still uses lots of milk floats. Bless .

Anyone else remember the DAF 66? Dual cone drive automatic. There was an interlock, but it was up to the quality of the rest of the car. If the idle was set high it just took off :) .
Yes. Mad buggers that the Dutch are they used to race them at Zandvoort - in reverse

BtW that film isn't being run in reverse (note the film car at the front of the pack)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough old things these Range Rovers. This is like a scene from a James Bond movie when Jaws gets out of it unscathed!

Sponsored Links
Back