How flat do I need to be for vinyl?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Self levelled our utility room before we went on holiday.

Now we're back I've noticed there are a few ridges still, there not huge but do leave a roughly 1 to 2mm gap below if a spirit level is placed on them, I've tried to picture them as best I can looking across them at floor level

IMG_20230316_121440.jpg

IMG_20230316_121733.jpg

IMG_20230316_121738.jpg

I've also took a couple of pictures of the vinyl were going to use, it's about 3.5mm thick.

Are these ridges going to show through the vinyl once it's walked on and I need to apply more self levelling between them/grind down the ridges or do you think it will be ok?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
I once made the mistake of putting a small piece of thick lino over some Riven slabs in a small vestibule think it would be ok.
Within about 3 weeks you could feel/see the bumps and dips and eventually splits/holes developed so had to rip it up.
Thankfully it was an off-cut from the kitchen so money wasn't wasted, just my time.

I would fill in the hollows first. Let it set and check the level. If there are any remaining bumps, then lightly sand them down.

What is the floor underneath the SLC?

Not by any chance timber planks that are still moving?

Sponsored Links
No it's concrete thta wasn't finished the best so has a few ridges through it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back