How flat does a ceiling have to be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I 've just ripped down a lath n plaster ceiling and now I'm *arting about adding slivvers of timber to try n get the joists somewhere near flat to each other before I screw up the plasterboard. I'm well sick of the performance! My home ain't the Cistine Chapel but I'd like the end result to look flat. How much can I allow the ceiling to run up n down before the eye can see the bed of the ceiling going up n down?

Sponsored Links
I 've just ripped down a lath n plaster ceiling and now I'm *arting about adding slivvers of timber to try n get the joists somewhere near flat to each other before I screw up the plasterboard. I'm well sick of the performance! My home ain't the Cistine Chapel but I'd like the end result to look flat. How much can I allow the ceiling to run up n down before the eye can see the bed of the ceiling going up n down?

You must spend a lot of time lying on your back!

As you know, an Englishman's home is his chapel Nosall, now how much deflection can I get away with?

Just do it now you have started, you will only get pee'd off looking at the area you didn't straighten and you will look at it because you know it's there, it may not be the Cisteen chapel, but it's your own palace, make it the best you can, it is only costing you time and you will be glad of it in the long run, i can assure you :)

Sponsored Links
What a shame flat ceiligs are in, bring back Artex, think what Michangelo could have done with it!

maybe frowned upon, but i generally leave the lathes in place and just remove the plaster, then i use 9mm handiboard - it's in my opinion easier to work with when the ceiling is uneven and your working on your own.
I had a similar ceiling in my house it was a nightmare - .5" difference in places

ripped a few down myself in my house and ate about a 3rd of it in the process., sometimes depending on the size of the ceiling bath/box room etc its easier to put a false ceiling in using some 2"b 2" board and skim :D

If you have the height to play with it's a lot easier to batten over the joists with some 2 x 1. You can then just pack these out as you're fixing them to bring them all level with the ceiling's low point. As you have removed a lathe and plaster ceiling you should have the room to do this. Much better than faffing around cutting wedges of timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back