How Full Should Cold Water Storage Tank Be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted recently with a query around my expansion tank which was overflowing due to a very slow drip on the float valve. As part of that I learned that the tank only needed to be around a third full, which helped when replacing the float valve to get it back to the correct level.

I was up the loft earlier and could hear the storage tank ball valve dripping too, a bit more than the other (every few seconds), so im going to go through the process of replacing the valve again.

So the same question again, how full should the storage tank be so I know the height of the float?

All cold taps and shower are mains fed so assume its only supplying the hot water tank, therefore it wont correct itself very quickly I guess by emptying and filling back up due to use

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So the same question again, how full should the storage tank be so I know the height of the float?
The cistern should be filled to about 50mm below the overflow connection, assuming that's in the correct place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back