How full should tank be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

Recently I have noticed that the tank in our loft that feeds the hot water system and power shower has been taking aaaaages to fill up. Last night was the last straw I could still hear water trickling into it at 2.00 in the morning and we'd last used the hot water at 9.00 the previous night!

I got into the loft when I got home from work today and took the lid off the tank to find that ballcock valve is clogged up with limescale and other crud so I'm guessing this is the problem. Replacing this shouldn't be a problem.

While the lid was off the tank I noticed something else and it leads me to my first question - how full should the tank be, 'cos currently it is only about 2/3 full? Also, I noticed there is a short (5"-6") long piece of pipe that is attached 90 degrees to the overflow pipe on the inside of the tank, and that this pipe is free to rotate so it can point up, down, left, right etc. My second question therefore is - which way should this be pointing? Should this be pointing up? Currently it is horizontal. My thinking is if this was pointing up and I adjusted the position of the ballcock the tank would fill up further.

Another reason I am asking this is that it may solve another issue I have, whereas our power shower sometimes runs out of water (i.e. the tank is empty) if my wife has an extra long shower.

Regards,

Rob

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing by pointing that tube down into the water it creates a sort of syphon which sucks the water out quickly should the tank ever get too full??

Regards,

Rob

Do you have particularly low mains water pressure, ie the header tank takes ages to fill up?

If not, it's highly likely you may have a piece of grit/ debris lodged in the float valve - isolate the supply to the valve and inspect the plastic valve seating.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing by pointing that tube down into the water it creates a sort of syphon which sucks the water out quickly should the tank ever get too full??

Regards,

Rob

Its pointing down into the water for frost protection. Its meant to help stop freezing on very cold days. Also there should be some fine mesh in there to stop insects getting in

Many thanks for the replies to my post. The mains pressure seems to be OK in the bathroom so I'm leaning towards a problem with the ballcock valve at the moment. I have bought a new one and will set about fitting it tomorrow. I will also point the tube down into the water as you have advised.

Thanks again,

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back