how hard to scratch build a timber garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had a few quotes for a double garage(16'x17') timber,brick and pre-fab concrete,I wondered how feasible it would be to scratch build one myself from timber onto a concrete base...I'm no cabinet maker but I know my way around a skill saw and a nail gun etc, no doubt I'll have loads of questions along the way from all the very helpful people on this site, just wanted to sound people out really to see if it's worth considering, any advice would be greatly appreciated especially regards what sort of timber to use,sizes and suppliers etc,it has to be pretty substantial to conform with my motorcycle insurance policy,will be fitting a couple of standard, single doors, one at the front and one at the rear so I can drag stuff through to the back garden if need be,probably go with a flat felted roof,don't think I'm cabable of fitting roof trusses etc, any tips?
If any of the moderators think this topic should be in "building" please feel free to move it as I wasn't sure where it would pick up most responses...thanks

Sponsored Links
It may be cheaper to build in rendered block than in timber.

hogster said:
Having had a few quotes for a double garage(16'x17') timber,brick and pre-fab concrete,I wondered how feasible it would be to scratch build one myself from timber onto a concrete base...

As JohnD says blockwork maybe cheaper, and you could clad it after. However, I built (ok, so not finished yet) a 20x10 shed using 4x2 CLS timber. It used about 240m

I'm no cabinet maker but I know my way around a skill saw and a nail gun etc,

Nor am I, but then it's not cabinet making. I would use one of those Makita sliding saw thingys though as there's loads of cuts to do, and it's easier not to have to lift the saw.

n............,probably go with a flat felted roof,don't think I'm cabable of fitting roof trusses etc, any tips?

Why should you think that? They're only big wood triangles with a bit of stiffening in, and if you build them out of 4x2 they'll be as strong as a house roof as they used to be built.

Have a look at this

Thanks oilman, you sound like me.....have a go at anything ;) 'cept brick(block)work,that was my original plan but as I've never(successfully) laid a brick in my life I asked a local builder...he quoted 10-12k! although that was a complete job,rendered,tiled roof etc...just more than my budget(and GF) will allow :rolleyes: thats why I thought of the timber option, a timber "ready made" version of what I'm after is still gonna cost 8k so I thought why not have a crack at it myself?

Sponsored Links
That's how I did my summerhouse, bought 2nd pre-cast slabs (half price because of hairline cracks or slighty damaged at the corner of the slabs) and then covered it with timber log cladding, metal sheeting tile effect. the summerhouse I made into an L shape plan approx 38' x 40' and cost me for the materials approx £3600 :D

hogster said:
sorry...what is CLS timber?

Canadian Lumber Standards ;)

It's that smooth 4x2 with the rounded corners. I suppose you could use the hairy stuff which would be cheaper.

Is this purely for compliance with your bike insurance?

If so, would they not accept other alternatives? A standard shed ona substantial concrete base with more than one substantial ground bolts to chain your bike to?

Obvously that wouldn't provide the storage that a garage would give you but if this is only to meet their requirements then it may be worth asking for alternative ideas?

What bike you got? An R1 or something?

FredFlintstone said:
Is this purely for compliance with your bike insurance?

No, but that's what he's told his other half. ;)

Nice one Deluks ;) no fred its a Harley :cool: insurance just want to know it's in something more substantial than a shed...mind you so do I, also got a lot of other boys toys to store, mountain bikes, trailer, camping gear, tools etc so its gotta be pretty safe, plus I tend to spend a lot of time out there,tinkering,you know how it is,so it'll be a kind of extension to the house for me.
Thanks oilman,I know the stuff you mean,yeah I prefer the look of the smooth to the hairy fnar,fnar!! :LOL:

hogster said:
no fred its a Harley :cool: insurance just want to know it's in something more substantial than a shed...mind you so do I

A Harley!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Love it. Which one? I'd love a Heritage Softtail or one of the Tourer models but alas can't justify it right now. I WILL get one one day though.

I've got a Honda Pan Euro. The problem is she just keeps going and going. Never let me down and so can't really bring myself to see her go. Loads of storage too. I also bought a Piaggio X9 Evo for my daily 40 mile round trip commute and use the Honda for longer journeys and weekends. The X9 sips fuel (70+ MPG!) and is a hoot to ride.

Whatever kind of garage you build I'd still fit ground anchors and chain your stuff to it - just so that if some scrote does get in they won't be able to make of with anything.

Fred.

Tis a Dyna Wde Glide Fred, have trouble justifying it myself at times but hey, you only pass this way but once and it helps that my GF loves it too and occassionally gets a shot on her, security wise...it's got more chains on than Mr. T, ground anchor, alarm etc, loads of mods, big bore kit,flowed heads, custom paint, billet wheels etc but all tasteful IMO, it's my baby :D a real sunday bike though,nothing like a trip out in the sun park her up and watch the world go by, hate getting it dirty, but it happens, like coming back from the Bulldog last year, then it's the big clean up, in the garage, door shut, tunes on, a cold one in hand...ahhh bliss:cool: hence the need for the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back