How is a sash case normally fixed to the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

How is a sash window case normally fixed to the wall? I have taken down some internal plasterboard wall lining in order to rebuilt it with insulation, and I was surprised to find that nothing much was supporting the window! It had been propped by the studwork. Wouldn't there normally be fixings into the masonry at the top? I guess the sides aren't possible because that's where the weights are.

I also now worry about whether I need to do something about the sand mastic. It was fine until I discovered that the window was not solidly attached when it almost fell in on me... having been pulled apart, does it now need to be replaced?

Photo attached. The wall is very old, but at some point this was a doorway and has been modified into a window with bricks below.

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I guess the sides aren't possible because that's where the weights are.
I would expect to find fixings into the walls behind the weights. Any reason you can't drill/plug the walls behind the weights?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back