Sash window frame fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello helpful people, first post here but I'm a long time reader of this forum. I'm hoping an expert could give me some help with a problem I have.

Im about to replace a badly rotten sash window and frame in my house, and was just wondering if someone could give some advide on how I fix the frame to the brickwork. The frame will sit in the brickwork with the most exterior face butted up against the exterior wall before the external reveal(I think this is standard construction for a Victorian window)

When I come to slot my new timber frame in the opening, I was wondering how to make the mechanical fixings to the brickwork? I could go through the seal easily enough, but obviously on the sides there is a big hollow space in the frame where the sash weights and cords will be so I wont be able to fix through here.Also at the top there must be 6 inches or so between the top of the frame and the brickwork.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best practice for fixing sash window frames in this case? Im struggling to get required information off the internet.

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Sammers, we fix little 20x20mm sections onto the sides of the frames, you can then get a decent fixing into the stone/brickwork. Works well for pvc or timber. You have to get the screw length right making sure you don't screw into the box sash section and making sure also not to drill out through the face of the pillars.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back