Installing a UPVC Window with Dummy sash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some Optima Profile 22 windows to install and some have a dummy sash.

Is it necessary to remove the dummy sashes to install or do the frame fixings go straight through the dummy sash and frame and into the brickwork?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think I’ve answered my own question. Remove the dummy sashes and install the frame.

On the windows I have the dummy sashes are held in place by screws which are visible when the window trims are removed. Removing these screws reveals that the dummy sash is actually hinged as with a real opener.

Next question though.

Do I screw the sill to the frame from underneath and then install as one, or fix the sill in place first and then fix the window to the sill from above? Does it matter?

The cill is one for debate really..if you screw it on first from underneath you may not be able to get the frame and cill in as one (make sure a bead of silicone is applied to the back lip of the cill where the frame rests) . Many a time when doing replacement we find it easier to put cill in and fix that to the building ( plenty of silicone underneath and anywhere water may get round , even if rendering over afterwards) . When you tighten the cill to the building , fill the holes with silicone first , so as the fixing goes through it keeps it water tight. Now you can fix the window frame to the cill, again put silicone in the holes before fixing it to the cill, just to keep it water tight, remembering a bead of silicone along the back edge of the cill where the frame rests , and also down the sides where the cill meets the building ( perpendicular to the cavity/existing block/stonework)

Thanks! I’ve got a few big windows so from what you say it may be easier to handle if the sill goes in first. I was thinking of using baypole screws to attach the sill. Are they ok?

Sponsored Links
Normal screws should be fine, just drill a pilot hole and countersink. Normally only use baypole screws when using metal joiners or baypoles as they self drill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back