Break in through a dummy sash window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had a break in at my property. The thieves broke in by using a chisel that was left behind by prising open a dummy sash window that I had no idea had a hinge on it.

Are dummy sashes usually that easy to break into? How do I now secure this window because there is no window handle in which to secure it.

Sponsored Links
Remove the beading.
Remove the pane of glass.
Drill / fix through sash frame into outer framework of the window.
Replace pane.
Replace beading.

It will (should have) been secured during the installation - perhaps not sufficient fixings or long enough ones?

So as you can see from the images here, only two screws were inserted.

I mean, is it that freaking easy to rip open a dummy sash? Could they do the same with a proper window with a handle on it?

Are dummy sashes normally targeted like this for break ins?

Attachments

• F597669D-09C6-4E69-BEC1-44D7105BA148.png
    F597669D-09C6-4E69-BEC1-44D7105BA148.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 94
  • 500A91E1-FCB2-4863-A69E-16DF3DC8F21E.png
    500A91E1-FCB2-4863-A69E-16DF3DC8F21E.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 99
  • 1B1282B6-8AC6-42F3-9BC6-F1EC6EE6D06D.png
    1B1282B6-8AC6-42F3-9BC6-F1EC6EE6D06D.png
    3 MB · Views: 110
Additionally I’m feeling very insecure after this. Are there any additional products I can add to the insert of the window itself to secure this apart from a grill?

Sponsored Links
I’ll add another recommendation for internal sash jammers.

While they come with screws, sash jammers are stronger when you also epoxy them (e.g. Araldite). The screw-and-epoxy combination makes them significantly more secure.

Also, you can add a Torchguard to the window’s external uPVC to protect against chisels, etc.

I thought it was a wooden window, but see it is plastic.

Had to call upon my home emergency insurance policy and it transpires that literally only two screws were used. Have now put like 5 screws on the bottom and a few on the side.

I doubt the other windows are any better which means the risk remains of them returning and trying another window. Might need to invest in some grills at some point.

Get an alarm and better window locks before they come back.

I suggest an alarm keypad by the front door and one in your bedroom so you can use a night setting for downstairs.

A professional wired alarm is best, but a DIY wireless is cheap and you can install it yourself in a couple of hours. Have external sounders visible but out of reach, though if you can change the batteries from an upstairs window it will save getting a ladder out.

Maybe some PIR external lamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back