Changing a dummy sash on my upvc bay window so it opens

NJJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to take a dummy casement window out of the frame to add hinges and a handle so it can open?

Sponsored Links
Depends on construction, have done exactly that on mine but was constructed with equal site line [window was already hinged but just screwed shut].

I know it is equal site line but dont know how it is fixed in the window frame. Is it common for dummy sashes to have a hinge fitted? Windows are circa 2005, externally beaded and from Crystal Windows - a biggish company in SE. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes fitted with a hinge is common to make installation easier, However they will likely be undersized/cheapest hinges possible so they will need replacing.

Take a gearbox out of one of your working windows and look for any codes to see if you can buy the same ones. Also take photos of all the holes for the locking gear etc.
Its all possible but tricky. You will need a multi-tool to cut out the insides of the window to make room for the gearbox etc. Or drill and chisel but that always runs the risk of cracking something.

It would be easier to get the original supplier to make new sash's all prepped out with hinges, handles and gearbox's etc if possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back