How is an undermount sink fitted to a quartz worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above. Is it glued? Do you get a template with them for the worktop supplier to use? I'm totally clueless on this!

Sponsored Links
Usually clamped and sealed/stuck.

There are normally bolt plates that are either epoxied to the underside of the surface and then lever clamps are bolted to them or in the more Higher end fittings there are holes drilled in the quartz/granite/stone/wood and then threaded anchors are screwed/glued in and then the clamps/brackets bolted to them.
1712673270117.png
1712673281678.png
1712673304125.png

All of them though will have an adhesive/sealant run around the lip to ensure it's watertight

Interesting. I'd wondered myself about the one (and a half sink) in my kitchen.

No sign of clamps on mine.
Just a plywood top of the sink base cupboard, cutout to match the sink shape; It seems that would ply supports the sink edges in place (with suitable sealant/adhesive of course).
{Also possible I just can't readily see any clips due to that woodwork.}

So I'm definitely telling Mrs R it's impossible to replace the chemically marked SS bowls..

Just a plywood top of the sink base cupboard, cutout to match the sink shape; It seems that would ply supports the sink edges in place (with suitable sealant/adhesive of course).
I would suggest - just a suggestion of course - that the units and sink were 'made up' by fitters? I'm not suggesting that it doesn't do the job of course as it obviously is working. Cant say I've ever seen one constructed the way you mention though and I've seen a few. I have also see one's with a metal frame and support arms connected to the side of the units but that just seemed dead clunky and not a very professional finish

Would hate to see that if the wood got wet and rotten though.

Sponsored Links
Usually clamped and sealed/stuck.

There are normally bolt plates that are either epoxied to the underside of the surface and then lever clamps are bolted to them or in the more Higher end fittings there are holes drilled in the quartz/granite/stone/wood and then threaded anchors are screwed/glued in and then the clamps/brackets bolted to them.
View attachment 339691View attachment 339692View attachment 339693

All of them though will have an adhesive/sealant run around the lip to ensure it's watertight
Thanks. So, if I have my sink to hand when they come round to make the templates of the worktops, will they include the fitting holes for me or will I have to drill them myself?

Thanks. So, if I have my sink to hand when they come round to make the templates of the worktops, will they include the fitting holes for me or will I have to drill them myself?
Last few I've done the worktop fitters also fitted the undermount sink and put grooves in the granite as a drainer at the sink position.

Bought this today. Looks like holes need drilling into the Quartz to fit the threaded inserts into. I hope the worktop people can drill the holes for me. If not, is it easy to drill into Quartz?

IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1400.jpeg

Last edited:
I would suggest - just a suggestion of course - that the units and sink were 'made up' by fitters? I'm not suggesting that it doesn't do the job of course as it obviously is working. Cant say I've ever seen one constructed the way you mention though and I've seen a few. I have also see one's with a metal frame and support arms connected to the side of the units but that just seemed dead clunky and not a very professional finish

Would hate to see that if the wood got wet and rotten though.

Years ago, I built my kitchen using MR MDF. Like the OP, I had SS undermount sinks. I routed a lip into the top of the MDF cabinet tops to support the sinks. The worktops were 2" timber.

From memory, I sealed the raw edges with epoxy resin wood hardener.

20 years later, they were absolutely fine.

On reflection, building your own kitchen from scratch is not cost effective but it did grant me the opportunity to maximise storage space- we had 900mm deep worktops, meaning I could make extra deep units.

On some sites, I have seen SS sinks held in place with small bits of timber epoxied to the underside of the stone/resin worktop.

I had my worktop fitting last week, they wanted the sink in place so they could get the measurements absolutely perfect.

As shown in the photo I routed out a mm from the top of the sink unit to take the depth of the stainless steel, and fitted a wooden batten across the rear of the unit for the back of it to rest on.

Attachments

• 20240331_132403.jpg
    20240331_132403.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 17
I then fitted the waste pipes, stuck it down with silicone and filled the sink to weigh it down whilst it set in place.
1000018551.jpg

This cooke and lewis (aka B&Q) sink came with some brackets and screws, but no way to attach them to the stainless steel and no useful instructions...

I'm not fussed though, it's stuck in place, it's enclosed with timber and will be weighed down and sealed when the quartz is fitted, so there's no way on earth it's moving...

I then fitted the waste pipes, stuck it down with silicone and filled the sink to weigh it down whilst it set in place.
Apart from the fact I don’t have a router, I don't think I’ll be able to do that with mine because of the irregular shape.

IMG_1399.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back