How Is Any "Normal" Person Supposed to Make Sense.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
......of the buildings regulations :confused:

Its quite a number of pages long, filled with all sorts of jargon. Just looking at the table of contents makes me want to bury my head in the ground and let the worms eat my eyes out.

I want to do i little loft conversion (no building, no extending, just moving a stud wall, insulating, boarding etc) which i am more than capable of doing myself but how do i know it conforms to the regs without having the read it?

I'm new to all this. There must be an easier resource.

Sponsored Links
Well this document is pretty handy http://www.trussloft.co.uk/Downloads/Loft-Conversions-and-the-Building-Regulations.pdf although its a bit out of date in terms of fire and insulation regs. Importantly though (as that guidance is a bit out of date) for a guide to the fire regs look here http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...tjhwgZHdA&sig2=YMfxxJP9CILQt3bXmSTNGw&cad=rja

This is a more indepth guide: http://www.constructionproducts.org...roducts Association Loft Guide March 2010.pdf

Frankly though why don't you employ someone to do you some drawings chances are you're gonna need a structural engineer too.

There's not much you can't find an answer to on this forum though.

Chestercopperpot, we all know that builders and other tradesmen are not really "normal" :D

Sponsored Links
i am more than capable of doing myself but how do i know it conforms to the regs without having the read it?

LOL ... I'm nominating that for the DIYnot contradictory statement of the year award

Do you really think that you are capable if you don't know what to do?

......of the buildings regulations :confused:

Its quite a number of pages long, filled with all sorts of jargon. Just looking at the table of contents makes me want to bury my head in the ground and let the worms eat my eyes out.

I want to do i little loft conversion (no building, no extending, just moving a stud wall, insulating, boarding etc) which i am more than capable of doing myself but how do i know it conforms to the regs without having the read it?

I'm new to all this. There must be an easier resource.

Hi Chestercopperpot,

This brief answer for you is this.

As you're not changing the external look of the roof, or the structure (load-bearing) in any way, you'll be able to move non-loadbearing walls without permission under PD (Permitted Development).

What you're describing is probably one up from decorating, so you will be fine. However, do take care that you do not affect the structural integrity of your home.

I hope that helps.

Many thanks,

Chris

What you're describing is probably one up from decorating,

LOL ... two nonsense comments in the same thread. This ones a winner

So for this loft conversion should the OP get a painter around to design the steel beams, advise on means of escape, and design the insulation and ventilation?

One up from decorating indeed :LOL:

LOL ... two nonsense comments in the same thread. This ones a winner

So for this loft conversion should the OP get a painter around to design the steel beams, advise on means of escape, and design the insulation and ventilation?

One up from decorating indeed :LOL:

He is 'only' moving a partition, he has not mentioned if he will make the space a habitable area.

If he said he was going to make it a bedroom, it would have been a completely different response, and as you've commented, a full design would be required incorporating all applicable building regulations requirements. But Chester is doing a simple job, it required a simple answer. Provided he's not loading the existing joists to excess, it's not an issue, *most* floor joists are designed to accommodate a typical Universally Distributed Load, that expected from a loft storage area.

I had hoped I found a forum where members helped each other, but perhaps not? I love sarcasm and degrading others as much as the next adult, but surely constructive comments would help a little, every now and again?

What the f**k do you know about that, with 6 posts to your name? Muppet! :rolleyes:
Psst, posts on one forum in the world, isn't the sum of all knowledge. ;)

I had a theory, I would join this website so that I could help others - I don't think there's anything wrong with that, is there? The hope was that one day I could ask a question and be helped. Is that wrong?

I see a lot of people on here who post a question and then bug*er off, never to be seen again. I'm doing the opposite and yet I'm getting grief, is that how this forum is supposed to work - I thought it was collecting knowledge and helping each other?

All the best.

I had a theory, I would join this website so that I could help others ... [etc]

Chris, you need to toughen up a bit. We've already got a couple of sensitive planning guys on here, so the quota is full.

Be prepared for some ribbing, and personally I reserve the right to hit people around the head with their own comments

Now, if you read the OP, you will see that he is planning a loft conversion. The OP's own lack of knowledge has meant that he has discribed this as "just moving a stud wall" etc but that clearly is not all that will be going on

So I'll give you a second chance, and you should also give our own Victor Meldrew (aka FMT) a second chance too :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back