How is the glass held in??!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of replacing the glass in two sash windows. I removed the frames that have the glass to be replaced and started removing the beading from around the edge. I then realised that the beading was only on 3 of the 4 sides. On the remaining side it almost looks like the glass is slotted into a recess and the gap filled with putty. Can this be the case?

In one corner i started trying to lift the wood but i think it might be part of the top piece of the window.

two pictures can be seen at the link below.

http://thorogood.smugmug.com/gallery/2535846#133267593

Sponsored Links
mntmouse said:
On the remaining side it almost looks like the glass is slotted into a recess and the gap filled with putty. Can this be the case?
Could be, it's not easy seeing it from the photo, the only way would be, carefully break the glass out and investigate further

If the glass is slotted in I can't see how they would have put the pane in initially as glass is not known for its flexibility.

I think what i might to is route a recess into that piece so that I can use beading all the way round. The only issue i need to check is that the flat surface is not needed to seal against when installed back in the frame. I could always put a square section bead back in if that was the case.

from some of the sites i've found, yes it is slotted into the upper recess..

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/ACCI/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=5845&sID=2012

this would be part of the meeting rail.

try pushing the bottom of the glass out and sliding down..

on an interesting side note.. glass is indeed very flexible.. it is in fact a supercool liquid.. it never solidifies.. if it did it would not be clear anymore..

over a period of years, glass "sags" becomming marginally thicker at the bottom of a window than at the top.. ( we're talking hundredths of a milimeter here... )

Sponsored Links
The above link is helpful. I broke the glass out and as the diagram suggests in the link the top is slotted in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back