Replacing wood panels for glass in victorian 4 panel door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking to replace the two top wooden panels in a reclaimed victorian 4 panel door with glass to let more light into my hall.

I have reomved the two top wooden panels (which was detailed on a previous post) and carefully remove and retained the orignial beading from one side to leave two 100cm by 26 cm openings which is approx 1.6cm deep and has a recess all round where the wooden panel used to be recessed into the frame.

I was wondering what is the best way fix the galss in? I will be able to fix it to some extent when i reattach the beading but will need to fill the recess (because the largest glass i will be able to get in will be the size of the opening not including the recess). Should i just fill this with some kind of putty or sealant? Also do i need to get glass that is 1.6cm thick (the thickness of the wooden panel) or will i be ok with thinner glass and use putty/sealant/filler fill the gap between the galss and beading?

Any help is greatfully recieved.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Glass can be fitted into the door with putty, it's been done that way for donkeys years all over the country. Alternatively there are now available glazing sealants that come in a tube similiar to mastics. These may be better if you are prone to slamming the door often.
As to the thickness of the glass, you won't get a piece of glass at 16mm thick with any ease. I'd personally use laminated which comes out at 6.4mm and I think there is slighty thick available too at around 9/10mm or so. The difference can be taken up with a timber spacer.
I'm not sure about DG units, different thicknesses of spacer bar are used but you would need an 8mm spacer to fit your door. Maybe someone with more experience may be able to steer you right there.

paulo - if an internal door consider using ovolo (or other profile) glazing beads on both sides of glass. The existing field panel groove should be packed with slithers of timber cut to fit. Unless you've got a steady hand and a 'good eye' for it avoid puttty ... it'll never look neat (unless done by a pro glazier) and bother you each time you use the door.

Sponsored Links
paulo - if an internal door consider using ovolo (or other profile) glazing beads on both sides of glass. Unless you've got a steady hand and a 'good eye' for it avoid puttty ... it'll never look neat unless done by a pro glazier.

I'd assumed the OP was replacing with the original mouldings so any putty would only be needed to seat the glass in place.
If he is indeed facing up with putty then yes I'd agree , it's a job that reqiures practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back