Victorian internal glazed door

23 Apr 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have this lovely victorian internal door. It has 4 glazed panels at the top half. One is cracked. The door is covered by about 20 layers of old gloss paint but I think the glass in held in by putty (it's all heavily painted over)

It's the door to my children's room and obviously not safety glass. I've put safety film over both sides of each panel for now but want it reglazed.

Is it possible to buy safety glass, cut to size, so I could replace the glass myself using nails and putty?
Sponsored Links
Toughened safety glass starts out as just ordinary float glass, it is cut to size while still float glass then its put through the toughening process, once its toughened it cannot be cut to size as it will just shatter.

Hack out some putty to give you your size and approach a local glass shop, they will show you their brochures of glass patterns available, most in this country are Pilkingtons, but euro patterns are made by Saint-Gobain but available over here too. They'll just order a toughened bit for you from their own prefered supplier of toughened glass who will cut it from their own stock.

As its a victorian door is the old glass etched with a pattern, if so it may be unavailable now so replacing all 4 might be in order?
Thanks for that. It's all plain glass and I want to replace all the panes, so they are safety glass, given that I have an pre-teen potential doorslammer! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links