How is underfloor central heating installed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of having underfloor central heating. Are there any risk of it leaking into the flats below? Does it go immediately below the wood floor and above foam board.

Sponsored Links
In order:

No more than conventional heating, infact one could argue even less of a risk.

Yes, although there are overlay systems if you have the ceiling height.

When you say wood floor do you mean floorboards or something like a thin wood laminate floor? If floorboards there is a lot written about the insulating effects of wood and how it is perhaps not advisable to have UFH under wood that is thick enough to be load bearing (as in floorboards). Then again, some UFH suppliers sell equipment specifically designed to allow it to be fitted that way. So you need to check with the supplier carefully about the equipment spec and if they guarantee it in your particular situation.

Some floorboard suppliers say that their product can be fitted over UFH fine, some say it absolutely must not. The thicker the layer of material over the UFH the slower it will be to respond of course.

I fitted UFH in a flat with concrete floors once. It sat inside foam cutout sheets with a reflective layer underneath and flooring grade board on top, 18mm I think. Worked great in the end, but a pain to redo all the skirtings, doors, trims etc. The UFH pipe is very strong and each loop carefully pressure tested when first filled. The main chance of a leak (I was told) is if someone unwittingly nails or screws something down to the floor without checking.

Sponsored Links
you have to bear in mind wood is s great insulator so you need to specify a system that runs at a high temperature, say 50c plus...and high heat output from the UFH... some systems have an output of 100w/m2 and others have an output of 60w/m2

you will loose the efficiency gains. also be careful with the floor fitters, they tend to use an excellent insulator to event the floor for the wood.

there are fit for purpose materials for this...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back