Link Electric Underfloor Heating to Central Heating Controls

Sorry, I completely forgot to intervene in the building of the property 20 years ago when I was still in school to ensure the considered all future advances in home automation and alternate heating methods. (y)
What's the building of the property 20 years ago got to do with it? I'm pretty sure Dan was suggesting that you should have planned ahead when you decided to get a smart heating control and ensured that the one you were buying was capable of doing everything you were likely to want it to do....

Sponsored Links
There is and I told you how already. In fact the Tado technical manual even tells you you can use it with electric underfloor heating.

No I'm not.

Tough.

There is. It's called planning ahead ;)

This is called being blunt.

Sorry, I completely forgot to intervene in the building of the property 20 years ago when I was still in school to ensure the considered all future advances in home automation and alternate heating methods. (y)

This is being sarcastic.

If you research on the houses built in the Future Home Exhibition, Kents Hill, Milton Keynes in 1994 you will find some iof them did have electric under floor heating amd at least two had "home automation". The automation system in the Mashford-Ainscow house was built into a tall 19 inch rack cabinet. ( Kerry Mashford worked for the same company as I did at that time)

Do shut up Bernard. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'm currently fitting a new kitchen at home, but want to add electric underfloor heating to take the chill off the floor tiles.

Our central gas heating is controlled through a smartphone (tado) and a manual set of controls next to the boiler.

Is there a controller/thermostat available for electric underfloor heating that I can link to the central heating controls so that the underfloor heating comes on when I turn on the gas central heating?

I'm thinking of a controller that not only has it's own on/off switch and live fused spur feed for power but one that can also take a switched live from another controller to 'link' them together?

Neil I have exactly the same requirement. I went for Tado after a pre-sales conversation which led me to believe it would be no problem, only to discover when I’d spent the money (a lot, for 12 SRTs, 5 STs and an Extension Kit) that it isn’t really advisable due to lack of overheat protection and 6A limit.

I have an underfloor mat in each of four rooms that I wanted to control with A Tado ST to supplement the rads (controlled now with Tado SRTs).

Before I found your post I had concluded that what I needed was basically a very simple switch/relay that allows you to read the temp from the probe, set max temp (for heat protection) and which itself can be switched on by the Tado unit. I have found no such thing (tempted to see if it might be possible to make one but my knowledge is not sufficient to attempt it).

Did you get anywhere? Obviously it may be that Heatmiser would have been the better choice but we are where we are, right? Pleased with every other aspect of Tado so not inclined to send it all back.

Neil I have exactly the same requirement. I went for Tado after a pre-sales conversation which led me to believe it would be no problem, only to discover when I’d spent the money (a lot, for 12 SRTs, 5 STs and an Extension Kit) that it isn’t really advisable due to lack of overheat protection and 6A limit.

I have an underfloor mat in each of four rooms that I wanted to control with A Tado ST to supplement the rads (controlled now with Tado SRTs).

Before I found your post I had concluded that what I needed was basically a very simple switch/relay that allows you to read the temp from the probe, set max temp (for heat protection) and which itself can be switched on by the Tado unit. I have found no such thing (tempted to see if it might be possible to make one but my knowledge is not sufficient to attempt it).

Did you get anywhere? Obviously it may be that Heatmiser would have been the better choice but we are where we are, right? Pleased with every other aspect of Tado so not inclined to send it all back.

Heatmiser or Evohome are the best solution. Evohome has a software update that will allow you to control electric UFH. They have a relay that takes 10amp, or you can use a standard relay to control one that handles the current you need.

The update is happening early in the new year.

Heatmiser or Evohome are the best solution. Evohome has a software update that will allow you to control electric UFH. They have a relay that takes 10amp, or you can use a standard relay to control one that handles the current you need.

The update is happening early in the new year.

Thanks Dan. Do they sell rad stats that link to the master controller to allow individual control? This was the key selling point for Tado for me. I didn’t come across Heatmiser in my (not exhaustive) web research but it was the only one I found which offered smart valve heads apart from Drayton (whose software looked very much inferior). My house is a sieve so timed control of rads in rooms is a genuine bonus and the setup I have installed (albeit without the UFH control) is working superbly well so far.

Heatmiser don't (at least I thought) do rad control, but there are ways around that if you are pulling the house to pieces.

Evohome is the best for rad control and electric mixed heating. Certainly in terms of usability and versatility. The software update is done over the Internet so you don't have to wait for the rad side (the Evohome Shop has some good offers at the moment).

My only concern is that there is no floor sensor in the electric zone with Evohome, whereas, Heatmiser can control the floor temp directly.

Heatmiser don't (at least I thought) do rad control, but there are ways around that if you are pulling the house to pieces.

Evohome is the best for rad control and electric mixed heating. Certainly in terms of usability and versatility. The software update is done over the Internet so you don't have to wait for the rad side (the Evohome Shop has some good offers at the moment).

My only concern is that there is no floor sensor in the electric zone with Evohome, whereas, Heatmiser can control the floor temp directly.

Interesting. From what you’ve said then, Evohome differs from Tado in allowing higher switching current but not taking a reading from a floor probe. Appreciate the info - might take a better look at Evohome but I can live without the UFH control - the rad control is 85% of the benefit for us.

Standard bdr takes 5 amp. They have a legacy receiver that takes 10amp.

But it is not hard to get a stand alone relay that is fired by the bdr that can take more amps.

Is there a controller/thermostat available for electric underfloor heating that I can link to the central heating controls so that the underfloor heating comes on when I turn on the gas central heating?

Bit of further research led to this:

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/95C-00000s/400-131-002.pdf

Relatively cheap, simple stat with probe connection that accepts "pilot wire orders" that would do exactly what we need, but I haven't been able to find any more data on the signals - they don't look like simple voltages but a proprietary analogue pattern. Very much doubt that Tado will speak that lingo.

For that matter, I see that the TH232s (of which I have one on each of my four mats) also have the pilot wire connection but for some reason they aren't detailed in the installation instructions in the same way.

The simpler panel with on/off and temp is preferable if you don't have anything to start with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back