How long does planning take

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all me again. I submitted my plans 28th of may it’s saying processed on the planning portal and been sent to Manchester City council. But I’ve not heard anything back is this normal 4 weeks no email nothing. Understand things are taking longer due to the pandemic but I’d fort I would received some form email or letter in post

Sponsored Links
Four weeks is quite a long time to receive an acknowledgement or validation letter. As LPA’s vary up and down the country, they like many others may be experiencing a back log. Your best bet is to get in contact with them next week in requesting an update. While the majority of LPA’s email their correspondence, some do still rely on the postal service which will add some additional delays.

Cheers will get in touch with them this week.. i am sure there working from home tho as phoned them about 8 weeks ago to ask few questions but was told to email them. i did and if i remember correctly i never got a response :(

This is mine so far!

Application Received Date Thu 26 Mar 2020
Valid Date Tue 28 Apr 2020
Expiry Date Tue 23 Jun 2020
Committee Date
Standard Consultation Date
Wed 29 Apr 2020
Standard Consultation Expiry Date Wed 27 May 2020

Still nothing!

Sponsored Links
Hi all me again. I submitted my plans 28th of may it’s saying processed on the planning portal and been sent to Manchester City council. But I’ve not heard anything back is this normal 4 weeks no email nothing. Understand things are taking longer due to the pandemic but I’d fort I would received some form email or letter in post
"Processed" by the planning portal is the same as "registered" at the council.

If you have not had confirmation of registration, which is acceptance of the application, then it's not even been started yet. The planning departments publish weekly lists of applications check those.

I have been every day suppose it’s just a waiting game

The PP doesn’t have or show a ‘processed’ status. It has a ‘transferred’ tab once the application payment has been made and therefore the application transferred to the Council. The slight clue is in the name. A ‘transferred’ application is not confirmation the LPA has registered/validated the application as it’s their admin team who deal with that.

As a part time diy'er that does an extension every other year , my experience is that local authorities and technology don't mix well. For both building control and PP I've frequently had people say to me on the phone "oh I wouldn't use that, we only download it every couple of weeks, just email it to us".

Currently the way I interact with the bregs dept at my local council (ad hoc emailing, their stated preference) is polar opposite to their website : install the app and everything will be silky smooth.

In my limited experience and locale, regardless of statutory obligations, and assuming the application is valid, then planning takes about 10 weeks from date of transfer. I doubt that the the present crisis will do much to curtail that duration.

Planning officers are thoroughly enjoying their e x t e n d e d holiday on full pay. Sitting around in sweats/dressing gown all day; watching Netflix; glass of wine on the lawn on a sunny day; job secure when the holiday is eventually ended.
If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I want to come back as a Planning Officer.

spoke to planning and apparently they never seen the application so there hoping to speed things up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back