How Long Is Too Long?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this should be in a different forum section, but I specifically wanted the opinion of trades as this related to an issue I am having with a trade.

I employed a building firm to build a small extension to my home. The extension is approx 12m square and is a bathroom and utility.

The work started mid-July with a timetable of 7-8 weeks, obviously allowing for issues etc. All started well but the work slowed down and guys were on site less and less and things were clearly badly organised with dicsussions being ignored or forgotten.

Eventually, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, things were almost finished. A few outstanding small points internally and externally a few things still need sealed with silicone and the top brickwork needs sealed to the eaves. The new gutter has since started leaking as well. We agreed to keep back 500 pounds until the job was fully complete.

There were a few delays where changes were required, such as an extra radiator being needed and a bit more tiling that we asked for. All these jobs we offered to pay for as extra but we were told no, it was part of the service. In total I would say these extras wouldn't have taken more than a weeks worth of work, as I was there for all the jobs being done so know what was involved.

As time went on I noticed that we kept getting told things that never happened, things like fans had been installed to the wrong spec etc. I was told the electrician was happy with what he had installed and wouldn't be changing anything. I explained that it wasn't what we asked for so I would have to buy the right fan and take the cost out of the remaining balance. I then got the guilt trip about all the extras he had done meaning nothing to me. A few days later he said the electrician had agreed to change the fan. I'm still waiting.

we are now at the stage where it is 18 or 19 weeks since the project started and it still isn't finished. Last week I was told he would come out when it was above 3 degrees to do the sealing so I have been texting (that's how we generally commiunicate) with forecasts so he can plan for when it is warm enough. He seems to have started ignoring me.

I think I have been very patient and reasonable considering how we have essentially been left to feel like a job that doesn't need finished as other jobs are more important (he is working on another build in my village).

As a trade, how long would you think is reasonable before a customer can say that you clearly don't want to finish the job and thus don't want the remaining balance? I don't want to leave the bits that need sealed open to the elements over the winter but also don't want the threat of any small claims action if I wasn't within my rights to walk away.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Apologies for not updating sooner but I did eventually get him to respond and come over and finish the job with no arguments so I can't complain. Would have been nice to not have to wait so long and to not chase chase chase but it is done.

Thanks for the advice though.

Sponsored Links
Back