How long to hang doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,can anyone give me an idea on how long it should take to hang 2 doors,
the door frames are perfectly square the doors require no planing or modifying for size in anyway.all that needs fitting is a bathroom lock and the other is standard door lock.plus hinges.Only bsaic tools available,hammer ,chisels,drill and wood drill bits.Reason i am asking is we have a bet i rekon no more than 3.5 hrs and my mate rekons 5hrs.

Sponsored Links
if youve done it before it shouldnt take any longer than an hour, if your doing it for the first time then mabe 2 hours so you can double check everything your about to do

tom

Used to it a hour.
Not used then a hour each.

Over that your both carp :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
I hung 9 doors in a long day at home, never done it before either, that include having to plane a couple to fit etc.

I then took another 10 months to fit the handles on :eek: and mega nagging from mrs fixit....

The best I can do in a house is 8 doors and ironmongery in a day, which included bathroom locks and clearing up, 8.00 - 5.00

I would not imagine a diy'er could fit this number a make a decent ob of it.

If you are a diy'er I would work on one door every 5 days in a day if you want to make a decent job of it

I hung 9 doors in a long day at home, never done it before either, that include having to plane a couple to fit etc.

I then took another 10 months to fit the handles on :eek: and mega nagging from mrs fixit....

Every door will need a plane put on it to make it fit correctly, you will need to but a closing edge on it as a door should never have a gap any bigger than a pound coin on any edge

I must be very unlucky but I have never hung a door that didn't need planing on at least two sides, and often all four. The best one so far was a door frame that was 2 inches off vertical from top to bottom on one side - fortunately that was not the hinged side. :rolleyes:

With regulation tea breaks every half hour it can take me all day to unwrap, measure up, plane, rebate, hang, remove, finish and rehang a door. If it wasn't for the tea I could probably manage 2 fire doors or 3 or 4 lightweight in a day depending on just how much swearing at the numpty who fitted the frame poorly was required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back