New door with no lock block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just spent a few hours installing a new bathroom door (painting, planing it to fit a frame that isn't very true, hanging it) and then when I go to install the lock / handle there is no lock block. Thinking I must have put it on the wrong way I checked and it's definitely marked lock on the side I'm drilling. Got some identical doors so I know I'm in the right hight where the block should be.
I have two questions :
1. How often does this happen (it's wasted my day) - it's just a standard Premdor that I got from Jewson.
2. Is there anything I can do to salvage it (the lock /handle all fit but it doesn't look that sturdy now). Is there anything like a super strong expanding foam that I can pump in to strengthen the area? (handles are just screwed into door skin at the mo).

Thanks very much - one angry wannabe carpenter !
Tim.

Sponsored Links
If it has no lock block whatsoever (make sure that there isn't a lock block in the other side), then I'd suggest either Jewsons or Premdoor, should have to supply another door FOC.

What type of door?, a standard internal door only supplied with a slightly thicker timber not a full lock block.

There is definitely no block on either side.
It's a standard internal moulded door (about £20- £25) - primed but not painted. Do some come without lock blocks then? I bought seven doors and the first 4 all had blocks (although they were all 686mm or 610mm wide). The one without the block is the same door just 762mm.
Tim.

Sponsored Links
ok fair enough :D
as its such a cheap door its simply not worth putting any more effort to solving the problem

Keep an eye on the panels, I bought a dozen and returned the lot when the sides bloated after a few days.[even though they were painted before fitting]

no, I agree - just my time and the fact that it takes me 3 days for a round trip to get back to Jewson's and it took the same to get the door in the first place (I live on an island off the coast of Scotland). Obviously not worth doing for just a door which is why I wondered about trying to fill it. Anyway - no problem I think I can sort it now.
Many thanks for everyone's help.

no, I agree - just my time and the fact that it takes me 3 days for a round trip to get back to Jewson's and it took the same to get the door in the first place (I live on an island off the coast of Scotland). Obviously not worth doing for just a door which is why I wondered about trying to fill it. Anyway - no problem I think I can sort it now.
Many thanks for everyone's help.

then it may be worth the effort if it avoids the trip :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back