how long?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how long it would take a professional to wallpaper a bedroom measuring 15 x 9 feet with a doorway and a window,assuming all prep work had been carried out.
Thanks....Mike

Sponsored Links
cut and paste about 1 roll an hour, if room is empty of furniture, walls are strait. i.e no chimney breast or columns. + if you want me to move/replace rad, sounds like you got 8 rolls @ 4 legths per roll but depends on what sort of paper and your perception of walls 'fully prepared' means.

Many thanks confidentincompetent.....thought i was cracking up.
I have already attempted to do the room in question.......i did not mention that there was a curtain rail that was protruding about 6 inches from the wall above the window which had a window ledge protruding, which was above a radiator.
Also that my daughter who is the owner of the room had already bought the vinyl paper which had a pattern which was very difficult to match as it had no fixed pattern at the edges and i found myself having to make use of a spirit level to keep the pattern horizontal.
Just to make my day the paste although mixed as per the instructions on the packet did not want to do its job, until i applied it very thickly on to the paper, and the walls were approx half an inch out.
Think i will call a decorator in next time.

The paper does make a massive difference....ive slung up 20 rolls in a day....or maybe 5 rolls in a morning.........other times its taken all day to hang four rolls, it varies.....that why I never price by the roll.

A tricky pattern can really slow you down though....better to match it on the paste table and cut half a dozen lengths at a time.

The room you described.....would take perhaps......one long day or a day an a half max im guessing.

You could expect to pay roughly £100/120 for a decent pro for a days work up their in gogland.

Sponsored Links
My thanks once again to Zampa.
The job actually took me two long days, and i am pleased with the results.
Can you reccomend the best quality paste for papering, and if as i found i was having to apply the paste very thickly to the paper to make it workable would you reccomend applying paste to the wall just prior to applying the paper as well to counteract this problem.
Please bear in mind that i sized the walls first with thinned down paste and left overnight, and i also booked each strip as specifed for five minutes before applying.
Have you any advice to make this easier in future.
I have been browsing this forum for a while now and find it most informative and sometimes entertaining.
By the way, although i now live in Wales, i am of English descent.have an Irish name, and have just spent twenty years in Scotland, so you can probably see why i need help.

You shouldnt apply the paste to heavy as this will cause its own set of problems...what your doing sounds fine....size the wall and let it dry etc, sometimes I paste the wall as I go along but that can be risky unless you really know your papers....and even then it can go wrong.

Try using wicks ready mixed adhesive...its pretty good and reasonably priced too, it, like most ready mixed adhesives will have a bit more tackiness about it.

If you paste the wall AND size it you may find you end up with too much stuff on there and it will squirt out the tops, bottmoms and sides......it could also affect the joints, the paper could fall apart, and stain...

Im English too.....in south wales.....on missionary work! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back