price for stripping wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could anyone give me an idea for a price for a decorator to strip wallpaper from a 12' x 12' room. 1960's house, quite heavily embossed wallpaper that has been painted so assume the worst! no making good or anything else, just stripping the paper....

assuming a decorator would be happy to do this type of work....

thanks...

Sponsored Links
It'll probably make a mess of the walls with scrapes and gouges. You need to strip and skim. £250.

No making good- it is probably a day's work- at a day rate of about £150 depending on where you live. Assuming that the rubbsih fills 5 black bin bags that you dispose of.

Why no making good?

I think he underestimates the likely making good needed.

Sponsored Links
Dont know many "Real" Decorators that would bother with just stripping the walls,
Their time is better spent on doing a complete job. They have a reputation to uphold, preparation is the key to a good job.

You probably could get someone to do it "cash in hand" anything from about £50.

fair point about making good. I will say though that every wall I've ever stripped (which isnt many) , I've cleaned up and painted or at the most polyfillerd the gouges prior to painting....

reason for asking the question is that paper stripping is the thing I've found utterly tedious and time consuming which is why I guess you price it at £150!. So bear in mind 12 x 12 is average size, a 3 bed house with lounge and 22' long reception plus stairwell and landing is going to cost me around £1000- £1200 before any making good - phew glad I asked this question!

Dont know of any Self Employed Decorators that earn £150 per day in this area, We are in a recession the last thing people think about is paying someone to decorate a room,
Mortgage, Food, Heating take priority, Decorating can wait until next year (or the Year after)
Get an Electric Steam Stripper £20/40 and a scraper far cheaper.

Dont know of any Self Employed Decorators that earn £150 per day in this area, We are in a recession the last thing people think about is paying someone to decorate a room,
Mortgage, Food, Heating take priority, Decorating can wait until next year (or the Year after)

(£120-)£150 a day is the going rate in London, for a decent decorator.

Never-the-less you are correct that you could find someone cash-in-hand who will do it for far less. I avoided that recommendation largely because you increase the risk of a wall with the aforementioned gouges.

If the OP is planning to make good & decorate then i too would suggest that they strip the walls themselves. As you said the capital outlay is very small.

Never-the-less you are correct that you could find someone cash-in-hand who will do it for far less. I avoided that recommendation largely because you increase the risk of a wall with the aforementioned gouges.

If the OP is planning to make good & decorate then i too would suggest that they strip the walls themselves. As you said the capital outlay is very small.

£10 per hour is considered good here unless one works for a Contract Firm, these are the only ones that are surviving,
self employed have gone to the wall, no work at all,
a recent build of Apartments was completed and remain empty, the decorating was shelved, and will only be resumed when a Particular Apartment is sold

£10 per hour is considered good here unless one works for a Contract Firm, these are the only ones that are surviving,
self employed have gone to the wall, no work at all,
a recent build of Apartments was completed and remain empty, the decorating was shelved, and will only be resumed when a Particular Apartment is sold

£10ph, crikey...

My rate is £150 but it has stayed at that for a couple of years. I am lucky enough to have stayed busy (too busy at times) although January was my quietest for some time, I put this down to the fact that the cabinet maker that used to recommend me for most of my work retired.

Since the cabinet maker retired I have "found" another but most of his units I have to spray, which in time means i will have to go to the expense of clean air supplies etc.

Overall though i am already booked for Jan and Feb, after that who knows???

Hope things pick up down your way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back