Painting hall, stairs and landing - how long?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt anyone can give me an exact answer, but we are looking at having our hall, stairs and landing painted. This includes making good existing cracks, undercoat, two top coats, and doing all the woodwork (five doorways).

We are obviously getting a few quotes for this, but it's hard to know if we would be getting ripped off.

In the absence of being able to give a price, could someone suggest how long this would take one man to do? At least then I could figure out a day rate!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I doubt anyone can give me an exact answer, but we are looking at having our hall, stairs and landing painted. This includes making good existing cracks, undercoat, two top coats, and doing all the woodwork (five doorways).

We are obviously getting a few quotes for this, but it's hard to know if we would be getting ripped off.

In the absence of being able to give a price, could someone suggest how long this would take one man to do? At least then I could figure out a day rate!

Cheers
I would think that nobody will know without seeing it, especially with the bare information given to quote from.
i.e - existing cracks :eek: where? ceilings? walls? wood? How many coats on the ceiling? what colour is it now? what's the surface? what's on the walls ? do the walls want emulsioning? whats on them? why 2 top coats on what? Any doors? whats on them?
That's just for a start ;) because when we go to do a quote, all these things and more, have to be ironed out. :( to even start to quote something.

i agree mate but should think that between 4 and 7 days should cover it as for the day rate depends on how good your decorator is

i hate decorating but the wife is the boss :(

That's cool, I kinda thought that would be the case!

We'll just go wit the guy we trust the most :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1 day for stripping,
1 1/2 days for filling & lining
1 day to emulsion
3 days for woodwork
+- 1/2 day
= approx £650-700 + materials

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back