how many bags of plaster ?

Sponsored Links
It it ok to to use some intant filler (
151) to fix angle bead on wall in hallway ready for a skim or is it not a good idea ?

Gripfill/No more nails would be good for that. A bit of gaffer tape holds it till its dry.

Sponsored Links
Gripfill/No more nails would be good for that. A bit of gaffer tape holds it till its dry.
Will use some nails then don't wanna open bag of plaster till tomorrow so gonna pva wall and stick bead on tonite so it's done for morning .

Cheers.

:)

Are you doing the plastering yourself?

If you are new to plastering a full bag may be a bit much.

Are you doing the plastering yourself?
Yes !I am a novice but want to give it a go :D

If you are new to plastering a full bag may be a bit much.
Might go and get one of them bigger buckets from wickes them yellow ones or mix up 2 smaller buckets at once ..would this be better only will need a full bag to start and don't want to run out halfway through ? rather waste some than have to mix up again halfway on wall.

Best to mix as much as you need to cover the area you are doing in the same bucket, dont over mix as this adds air to the mix and it will go off faster.Make sure the wall is well prepped..pva etc.

Once the stuffs mixed get it on the wall as fast as possible, dont mess about with it...once its covered go back over it and flatten it out.

Give your tools a quick wash then get your 2nd coat on..repeat the process.

You may be a natural..good luck . :D

if you want to gauge it so your mixing approx 1 bag buy the medium size gorrilla tub and pour 1 full builders bucket of water into it this will knock up roughly the amount you want and from then on follow als advice but the best tool i think a novice can have is a sponge float you cant go wrong using one of those good luck

Thanks guys will go and get one of the gorrila tubs tomorrow before i start .Fingers crossed ;)

Hi guys,

Done the wall on the stairs ,only needed just over 1 1/2 ( i put 1 bag by mistake first so edited it to what i used lol ) bag for both coats.Problem i noticed was that after i applied second coat there are a few patches where i i missed :confused: Not very big ones but a few spaced here and there ,would you recommend filling over these with some easy fill as i want to paint the stairs afterwards ? Don't fancy going over the complete lot again as it's ok in some places and don't want to make it worse starting it again.

I managed to get it on quick to start with but towards the end the plaster was going off in tub it was really hard working it in..Should i have just done another smaller mix to finish it off and then used it to fill any imperfections instead of fighting with the last bit of plaster ?.

I take my hat off to you guys who do this for a living ,it's bloody hard work lol.

p.s the wall was about 20ft x 10ft not 12x15 like i first said as i just guessed at it lol.The wall slopes in places so i just used the 20 x 10 as a max and is not the actual full size because of how it slopes .

Well done on your first attempt zapper.

Not sure how you got one bag to do 2 coats of skim on a 6 x 3 m area... must have been an extremely thin coat! Each coat needs to be a couple of mm think minimum.

Couldn't comment on the best way to recticfy any imperfections without seeing it, but i would be inclined to wait for it to dry and then take stock. If it needs to be done again, do it again. You've come this far so do do it properly. Just seal the wall with pva before doing it again if needed.

Yes, you should have made some extra plaster up rather than worked the tough stuff - even better if you can make a friend or loved one do that bit for you while you're trowelling :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back