How many bends in foul water pipes?

S

smh

Greetings fellow DIYers...

I'm putting in a new 110mm foul water pipe and accompanying inspection chamber to link into an existing pipe just outside the house. I was wondering if there is some giude that covers how many bends you're allowed to put in before you have another inspection chamber or other access point?

I'd like to take a pipe down from upstairs, go two metres along the wall, then through 90 degrees (2x45 degrees) then another two metres followed by a 45 degree bend into a universal chamber. All the houses I've seen have a straight run from the down pipe to the closest chamber, however to do that in my case requires putting in a lintel right at the corner of the house - a corner which already has an opening in the adjoining wall. Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but I figured a few extra quid on pipes could be worth it.

many thanks for any advice,

-Simon.

Sponsored Links
I haven't quite grasped what you're intending to do there.

When you say "along the wall", is this a horizontal run?

Also, are you aware that the work you're doing sounds as though it needs LABC notification and approval?

OK, time for some ascii art:). This is the ideal route for the pipe, plan view of downstairs ('X' marks the spot where the pipe will come down from upstairs):[code:1] H +------- New wall (to be built)
H
H
========== DOOR =H |
X H |
H '. |
| '. V
| '. |
Window----+ | ---
H | | +------ Inspection chamber
H ---
H |

[/code:1]And this is how I'd like to take it:[code:1] H +------ New wall (to be built)
H
H
========== DOOR =H |
X H V
| H |
| | .---
'-|---------| | +------- Inspection chamber
Window-----+ | ---
H |
H |
[/code:1]The door will be bricked up when the new wall is built.

As for approval, don't worry everything will be notified, because it's part of the work on the extension.

cheers,
-Simon.

EDIT: Oh ****! That showed up perfectly well in preview, but when I hit submit it mangled it. I'll redo it tonight - sorry.

smh said:
EDIT: Oh p**s! That showed up perfectly well in preview, but when I hit submit it mangled it.
Try it this way:

<snip>

Well, yes, not very pretty either, but you get the idea. :(

Edit: bad examples of the use of the "[code]" tag now removed.

Sponsored Links
Huzzah! The preview looks really ugly (filled with diamonds with question-marks in them), but when I submit it looks OK.

-Simon.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but this section is going to be underground?

[code:1]
X
|
| .---
'-|---------| | +------- Inspection chamber
[/code:1]

If so, then you really need a rodding point at the bend, and a small inspection chamber is the easiest way to do that. You'll need one with a double sealed lid though, it being indoors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back