How many BTUs do I need as extra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

A very quick question.

Just about to order some new radiators and wanted to know how many BTUs over the calculators should I go for. Some one told me to go 10% recently, but when I had a new central heating system in another property (10 years ago) the plumber told me to double what I need.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jacka

Sponsored Links
Radiators have been rated in kW since about 1982 when the country was metricated.

You have told us nothing about your boiler or what heat ratings you have chosen the radiator sizes on.

Rads can be oversized and this can speed warm up times and sometimes improve boiler efficiency.

But it is very foolish to fit undersized rads.

I like to choose rad sizes which fit neatly into the available spaces and to use single panel where possible as that gives a more distributed heat input into the room.

Its good to oversize by about 20% compared with calculated sizes if the cost is immaterial. But builders and competitive quotes will give exact sizes for financial reasons which I always think is a pity but will obviously happen when people want to spend the least possible.

Tony

Cheers Tony

I bascially have one bedroom that gets quite cold in the winter as we have redicoulous large windows about 6m2 (1960s build). I also have another carpet up in bedroom Two so I'm taking the opportunity to change that rad for a metric one.

Bedroom one 360 x 330 x 225
BTUs required approx 2500 - 3000 (According to BTU Calc)
Going to replace the single rad with a single metric convector (Myson Select) 600 x 1300 (approx 4k BTUs)

Bedroom two 240 x 260 x 225
BTUs Required 1500 - 2000 (According to a BTU Calc)
Going to replace the single rad with a single metric convector (Myson Select) 600 x 1300 (approx 3.5k BTUs)

I know the smaller room will be fine as it's double, but just wanted to see how much I should over compensate in Bedroom One

Cheers

Jacka

Sponsored Links
Do you also think this will help with boiler efficiency as it will heat the room quicker?

Sorry I have always worked in kW and BTU are some kind of old fashioned thing from the days of steam power.

I am sure my grandfather would have known about them though as he worked at Poole coal fired power station!

I had no idea, I wonder why these but calcs are still used. I may have to review my calcs in KW

Rad for bedroom one would be 1253 watts ( 3.6x3.3x2.25)

Rad for bedroom two would be 1063 watts (2.6x2.4x2.25)

Isn't that just a few light bulbs. I think I'm going to need a double panel plus rad for bedroom 1

Those are very small rads!

I always advise using single panel because the longer length spreads the heat more evenly.

Tony

As I said above I prefer single panels as they distribute the heat better.

Those sizes are about right but I would suggest about 20% larger.

A very simple way is to check at 100w per sq meter for a well insulated room with only one external wall an 200w per sq meter for a less well insulated room with two external walls ( or more ).

Tony

Normally single panel are cheaper at £ per kW.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back