Will my new rad beat the old one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an underperforming radiator in the spare room. It isn't heating the room very well, partly because of the way it was mounted (right up under the windowsill leaving a gap of just a couple of mm - so the sill is hot, the room is not). It's a single panel rad, (no fins), and it measures 1600 x 500. I'd like to know roughly how many watts or BTUs it is, so I can exceed this with the replacement.

The room measures 3.34 x 3.43 x 2.4 high. The BTU calculators say that I need approx 4300 BTUs. My replacement of choice at the moment is 5300. Is this a sufficient overcompensation? I guess whether this new one will do the trick, partly depends on what the output of the old radiator is.

Please help...

Sponsored Links
Your existing radiator may already be giving you 4800btu according
to the wickes calculator.
I would suggest a 1400x500 double giving 8000 btu with a thermostatic
valve on.

Mounting against the ledge will greatly reduce output.

My suggestion is to use a 1600 x 500 but properly fitted at the maximum distance from the wall.

Also look at improving insulation and draught proofing.

Tony

The one I ordered is 1600 x 400 (400 so it clears the sill), double panel, single convector at 5300 BTUs. I think I might go for a double convector instead based on your advice. I just hope I can get my money back on it.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would always advise the double convector as the price difference is so small.

Nor do I understand why you opted for a shorter one to complicate the pipework.

You cannot oversize rads. The TRV will adjust the heat output as required.

Tony

I would always advise the double convector as the price difference is so small.

The DPDC look cumbersome (horrible nasty looking things :mrgreen: ) , the DPSC looks much better , if you have the wall space then no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back