Radiators. How large is too large?

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bedroom is on the end of our house (two external walls) and has a large sash wiindow and a glazed door to the garden (both single glazed). For the record, we are in a conservation area so new windows and doors for the house are prohibitavely expensive.

We have a largish radiator in the room (1.4m x 0.7m , K1) but, even when it is running nice and hot, the room is always cold. A quick online calculation suggests that the radiator is not large enough for the room (needs about 5500 BTUs and only gets 3900 BTUs from this radiator)

A friend is upgrading his central heating system and is throwing out a perfectly good k2 rad which is a 1.8m x 0.6m k2 (10000 BTUs). This will more than double the heat output which is probably a lot more than I need.

I've calculated all the other radiator powers (in kw) and out boiler does have just enough extra oomph to drive the additional load of this new radiator. Are there any other issues that might occur if I fit such a large radiator in this room?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
You may think that rad is too large but the reality is that a rad can never be too large.

The larger it is the lower the surface temperature required and the more efficient a condensing boiler will be.

All you need is to fit a good liquid filled TRV like a Drayton TRV4.

Tony

As ever Tony, thanks.

That is good news (and matched my thinking I'm pleased to say). Another step on my route to finally having a warm home.

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back