Size of radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just sizing a radiator for my son's bedroom. The room is about 1000 (13 x 10 x:cool: cu feet, one external wall, which faces south-east (i.e. very good for sun). At the moment the loft insulation is poor, and it is single glazed. Both of these will be changed in the next year or so.

The central heating system is a wet system, with a new Vaillant combi boiler.

2 questions:

1. I've looked at various online calculators for working out the radiator size in Btus. The results vary widely between about 1500 and 5000. What gives?

2. We're concerned about GCC, energy consumption and cost. So we're quite prepared for the radiator to be slightly 'underpowered'. If this means that on the very coldest of days the room is a bit chilly that's no problem. I intend to insulate the loft as heavily as I can, and when the time comes to fit a new window (which is about 2 sq metres, by the way) it'll be double (maybe even triple) glazed, with reflective glass, argon filled if I can get it etc.

I've read somewhere that a slightly underpowered radiator which is on all the time is better than an overpowered one which is constantly turning on and off (with the TRV).

I also read somewhere that condensing boilers may or may not work best at 'full stretch' but it wasn't clear what the poster meant

Your opinions please.

Sponsored Links
Its better to oversize the radiator as that enables the boiler to condense more.

About 2 kW output will probably be about right and fitted with a TRV.

Tony

Assuming a standard bedroom temp of 18C and a cavity wall with no insulation, then 1250 watts will do. (4265btu's)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back