How many Cavity sleeves do I need for a standard cavity wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have some damp in the utility room so I thought I would fit some 9 x 3 airbricks, how many Cavity sleeves do I need per air brick?
I was thinking about putting an adjustable air vent grill with flyscreen cover on the inside wall, does this sound like a reasonable idea rather than a fixed Non Adjustable or Louvre type?

Many Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Damp or mould? Air bricks don't stop damp.

You say airbricks, but if you are trying to prevent mould by ventialtion, you need to ensure that you are using the correct number of airbricks (normally one) and in the correct place. Too many can do more harm than good.

Why would you want to be able to close off vents that are there purely to ventilate?

One liner per vent normally.

Above all, bear in mind that ventilation is just one third of the remedy for mould - proper use of heating and suitable insulation being the other two just as important factors. And ventilation may mean better extraction elsewhere instead of an airbrick.

I know someone that is a builder, he had a look and he said that I don't have enough airflow, so start with 2 airbricks, 1 in the side wall and one in the back wall.
I wanted to be able to adjust the airvent so that it doesn't allow too much cold air in the winter, or is that the point, that you need as much the air in the winter.

Sponsored Links
I've attached a few photos, this is in the Utility Room, that is part of an extension that was built in 2000, Solid floor, cavity wall Behind Tumble dryer.JPG Internal Wall.JPG Near back door (1).JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back