How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't claim credit for this, I've unashamedly nicked it from another forum, but in my defence I think the person who posted it there did the same....

How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

I think you will find that we do not have an "Electricals" section here, we have "Electrics UK" ;)

Now, where does that put me...

It IS lamp.........!!!!

Must put a note in my diary for September 2004.......

Sponsored Links
I've seen that posted several times in the last 5 years on a number of SETI forums and related sites.

Still funny though :D

I know one man you can be held responsible for all of the above......

Starts with F

:LOL:

Not, you don't mean.....is it.....(sharp intake of breath)....NO!! It can't be!

i saw this as
how many counsellors (social workers with frills) to change a light bulb..

the bulb has got to want to be changed..

crazy.gif

that post in varoius forms has been doing the rounds of various forums for a long time

Users should not change light bulbs. Any modification to a light bulb should be carried out at the factory. Interfering with the light bulb, in any manner can be highly dangerous. If it has stopped working you would be well advised to replace it completely. :)

But to comply with the strict insurance policy at your workplace,and to keep the unions sweet, do NOT change or indeed replace it yourself. Ask a suitably qualified member of the maintenance team to do it for you.

Joking aside, I worked on a nine storey office block in Leeds in the early nineties.

Working in a washroom, I needed to remove a pipe saddle to run a piece of FP in.

Two screws, and it was done. 5 minutes later the clerk of works threatened to throw me off the site for not following the correct protocol, ie go to the C of W, request a plumber to remove the saddle, install the cable, and ask the plumber to return to refit the darned thing. (All of which would have taken many hours.......)

I worked once, as a student, in a prototyping electronics lab.

I was allowed to fiddle with all manner of electronic and electromechanical things, worth large-ish sums, with no qualifications except an interest as a hobbyist and "A" level physics, and no safety training except my own common sense.

But the day I decided to replace the fuse on my soldering iron because it had blown, well.... that's an electrician's job, isn't it... :rolleyes:

ban-all-sheds said:
I worked once, as a student, in a prototyping electronics lab.

I was allowed to fiddle with all manner of electronic and electromechanical things, worth large-ish sums, with no qualifications except an interest as a hobbyist and "A" level physics, and no safety training except my own common sense.

But the day I decided to replace the fuse on my soldering iron because it had blown, well.... that's an electrician's job, isn't it... :rolleyes:
and rightly so otherwise you'd be doing a man out of a job apart from the fact that someone unsure could undermine the safety of the correct fuse being replaced ( someone may have put the wrong fuse in beforehand and normally someone without experience would just replace like for like).
although it seems a trivial thing out of small acorns.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back