How many LED downlights will I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen is 2m x 4m, and has undercupboard lighting and a light in the cooker hood. I want to install downlights, but have been told that I'll need more of them if I use LED bulbs than if I use halogen - partly because they're less bright and partly because the beam angle is narrower. How do I calculate how many I'll need if I want to use LEDs?

The sink is at one end of the kitchen (i.e. a 2m wall), and I would like light over that, so I'm not washing up in my own shadow. This light(s) will therefore need to be closer to the wall than the others, so I may need more lights overall than would otherwise be the case.#

All advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I want to install downlights,
OK.

What's above the kitchen ceiling?

All advice much appreciated!
My advice is to not use small diameter ones. Incandescent, LED, CFL - makes little difference, small ones are still an awful lot like torches.

Look into larger diameter lights - this type of thing, for example:

You can get LED lights in larger sizes too - the Thorn BaseLED is one, I'm sure there are others.

led-downlight-337740.jpg

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/download/Base_LED_Brochure.pdf

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/PDB/Ressource/teaser/E2/TLG_BaseLED.pdf

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/object/PDF/datasheet.aspx?CompanyID=7&GroupID=12650&CL=E2&CC=GB

The number of lights required and placement, will depend on a number of factors.
The type of lamps you fit, the amount of light you require, the grid design you want and where joists and noggins are in the ceiling void. You need to also have enough distance in the void to allow the fitting space above and around it.
In general terms you would be looking at having the fitting placed at about 600mm from perimeter walls and a distance of between 300mm-1200mm apart. You will be restricted by the floor joists, so some investigating an pre-measurements are required as the lamps should also be given a gap from any timber joist to prevent fire.
Normally you would expect your joists to be 400mm centres but this is not always the case!
If you have any fire/smoke detectors in this location, they to must be given at least 300mm distance from any lights or walls

Sponsored Links
Thank you every body - great to get some experience-based advice. As it happened, I ordered the downlights online and they were delivered late. As I was stamping around the house cursing the delivery service, Mrs HalfEatenFlapjack phoned to say 'Ooh, I've just seen a pendant light I really like!...'

such is life. That was for the dining room though. We went for 7 x 35W halogen in the kitchen and it works a treat.

Thanks also for the steer towards Thorn, Ban All Sheds. Food for thought definitely, but we went with the small type in the end.

What a great forum! I hope I can contribute some answers at some point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back