How many LEDs does one man need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting LED downlighters fitted when the kitchen/diner is refitted.
But I don't want either LED overkill or, conversely, pockets of light and areas in shadow.
I have attached a diagram made by me to show where i think the lights should go (after reading various web pages) and hopefully a diagram of the kitchen installers mock up.

Is this the right thread or is there some kind of design thread I've not seen?

How much should I be spending per unit? I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want to buy cheap and having to get units or bulbs replaced on a regular basis (seems a common occurrence, either people are very happy or are constantly replacing stuff).

Taking the above into consideration. Is it a realistic to want reliable dimming LEDs? or is that still a pipe dream on a reasonable budget? With it being a kitchen diner I would quite like good well lit working environment and a more relaxed chill out/eating light scenario.

Probably 2 main circuits. One for the kitchen area and one for the dining area and a separate light circuit for the pendants above the breakfast bar.

Any light placement and dimming advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Kitchen Plan.png
kitchen plan mock.png

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting LED downlighters fitted when the kitchen/diner is refitted.
Good. That you are only thinking of it means you have time to change your mind.

But I don't want .. pockets of light and areas in shadow.
Then do not try to light a room with small torches recessed into the ceiling.

Just don't.

I have attached a diagram made by me to show where i think the lights should go
It doesn't show for me, so I guess I should apply a disclaimer to the above.

I did assume that you are talking about using lots of small diameter recessed downlighters. Recessed is not the problem - small is. Use recessed lights in the 150-200mm diameter range and you'll be fine.

Aurora are a good make.

Or rectangular LED panels let into the ceiling so that they are flush.

Sponsored Links
Hi B-A-S
I like the clean look of downlighters and they do seem to be a popular choice. I don't know if i do need 17 lights, thats why I'm here before i commission something.
would you be point me in the directions of the lighting you refer to?
Thanks

I like downlights myself, looks like you’ve got somewhat the right amount of lights but no matter what you do. Keep them all in straight lines.

As drawn, you’ll hate them when they’re off.

The lounge area is fine, but the kitchen will look like someone threw darts at the ceiling and fitted a light where they stuck.

If you can get the 4 along the cooker wall in a straight line do, if you have to dog-leg the one by the fridge, that’s fine.

Then get the 4 along the 3m unit wall in a straight line, ideally in line with 2 in the lounge but not critical.

Then the three above the sink in a straight line and evenly spaced.

Your plan may and probably will change as per the joist layout and spacing but you’ll have to play it by ear.

The Enlite E8 is a brilliant fitting, and the price difference between dimmable and non dimmable is negligible so you may as well fit dimmable even if you don’t bother with a dimmer at this stage

Area of light matters, this
15w-led-downlight-especially-for-bathrooms-ip44.jpg
is a down lighter as well as your touch size GU10 types but the area is around 7800 mm² where a GU10 by time to count for room needed for cooling fins is around 950 mm² so the ones requiring a 105 mm hole have 800% more area of light emitting surface.

I have these Inceptor micro 7.5w and they are very good. I wouldn't use them as the only light though, you need some pendants and up lighters too, just to create some balance.

LED4300WH400.jpg

Do you really think that placing a TV above a fireplace is a good idea?
The best height for a TV is to have the centre of the screen at eye level, or slightly below, when seated.
As you have it, unless you can lay well back in that sofa, you are likely to get a stiff neck looking up at it!
Also, when the fireplace is in use, any light from it is likely to be a distraction from your viewing, especially flickering flames.

I like the clean look of downlighters
But not the even cleaner look of fewer lights in the ceiling?

and they do seem to be a popular choice.
Yup - a lot of people think that lighting rooms using lights designed to not light rooms is a good idea.

would you be point me in the directions of the lighting you refer to?
Use recessed lights in the 150-200mm diameter range and you'll be fine.

Aurora are a good make.

Or rectangular LED panels let into the ceiling so that they are flush.

Do you really think that placing a TV above a fireplace is a good idea?
The best height for a TV..........

Wow thanks for that insightful comment on my LED question (y)

Thats a kitchen designers interpretation of the dining room. I have no idea what will be in that part of the room yet, probably a lazy sofa and a dining table. But defiantly not a tv above a fire.

Everything B-A-S has said

Yeah I can see where you are coming from and it defiantly is an avenue to explore. Thank you for your input. I'm still leaning towards downlighters but you have defiantly made me stop and think about other alternatives.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back