New LED spotie for new Kitchen/Diner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

Need some guidance (comments/likes/dis likes/web links etc) on buying new led spots for my kitchen/diner/living room. I want to stage it in three areas 1) Living area (8 Led dimmables) Dinning area (6 Led non dimmable) Kitchen area (8 Led non dimmable).

In the dinning area and the kitchen area where the leds will be mounted there is a vaulted ceiling which will be made up of 50ml gap from roof tile/breathable layer to 100ml Kingspan, then 18ml ply to 2.5ml firesafe plaster board and a plaster skim.

In the living area the ceiling will be 100/200ml insulation between floorboards and plasterboard, 12.5ml fireboard and then skimmed.

What i am looking for is info on dimmable leds and leds that can go in to vaulted ceiling and living area ceiling.

I know i will have to cut around the kingspan to put in the lights but i would like to know peoples recommendations on which leds are best for this installation and a guide on price as i dont want to have them blowing if they overheat if i get the wrong type which ive heard happends.

Cheers in advance for any advice by the way!!

Peter

Sponsored Links
I despair.

What is the point of all that insulation that is put there to achieve the required thermal insulation characteristics if you are going to cut it all away and lose all those expensive BTUs through the spotlights?

Also, don't forget the kitchen moist air will be drawn into the vaulted ceiling void causing damp and rotting roof timbers.

Got a plan B?

I despair.

What is the point of all that insulation that is put there to achieve the required thermal insulation characteristics if you are going to cut it all away and lose all those expensive BTUs through the spotlights?

Also, don't forget the kitchen moist air will be drawn into the vaulted ceiling void causing damp and rotting roof timbers.

Got a plan B?

Woooooo there Taylor me lad!

OK, there will be loss along the way that's ivevitable, the same is said for the 5 velux windows that are in the vaulted ceiling and the 4 meter bi folding door at the back of the extension that will not help in keeping in the warmth even with the rated glass in them.

Plan b? Brick up the vleux's and bi folds and have wires running across the ceiling to rose lights celotaped to the insulated roof or even candles dotted here and there? I may not use the area to cook in too so as to save the moistness, but going the chippy evey night may become very expensive :p

Im not saying its a green build im just asking for a bit of info on lighting. :p

Well, you asked for
comments/likes/dis likes/web links etc) on buying new led spots for my kitchen/diner/living room.
and that's my take.

On a more sober note. Is this a new construction?
Are Building Control involved?

If so, they will have some very strong opinions about your plans for torchlights & making a swiss cheese out of your Kingspan insulation (along the line of my dislikes).

You should check what they require/will allow before drilling a single hole.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could well be:

... a vaulted ceiling which will be ...

In the living area the ceiling will be ...

Sounds like they should be.

If so, they will have some very strong opinions about your plans for torchlights & making a swiss cheese out of your Kingspan insulation
They won't allow it.

And for reasons which ought to put the OP of doing it anyway.

blank65x10t.gif
plus_one.gif

Taylortwocities";p="2564932 said:
Well, you asked for
comments/likes/dis likes/web links etc) on buying new led spots for my kitchen/diner/living room.
and that's my take.

Hahaaaa your bang on there T! :p

Quote:

Yes, they said it would be ok BUT the lights would have to be fire rated and be either with a cover on them or i could buy a covers that goes over them.

Quote:

I will give them a call again to make sure. My neighbour has a similar build and has led spots all over the blody place so i can ask which ones he had fitted as these were passed by the same BC

Taylortwocities wrote:

Yes, its an 60sqm wrap around extension to the existing house. Im just installing my swiss cheese in the vaulted part and putting up some hangers up for my rag dipped burning torches :D :D

Yes, they said it would be ok
They said it would be OK to compromise the insulation?

BUT the lights would have to be fire rated
Why?

and be either with a cover on them or i could buy a covers that goes over them.
And you will seal those covers to a surface on the warm side of the vapour barrier, on order to stop warm moist air getting to the cold side where it will condense and start to rot the roof, how, exactly?

I will give them a call again to make sure. My neighbour has a similar build and has led spots all over the blody place so i can ask which ones he had fitted as these were passed by the same BC
Sounds like you might be "lucky" in having BCOs who don't have a clue.

Get the agreement from BCo in writing.

So there's no argument, when the BCO who does know what he is talking about turns up.

Sorry guys!!! I spoke to the BCO this morning after your comments and asked him to explain the lighting situ. I had heard the BCO wrong when he was at my house. The spots in vaulted ceiling do NOT need to be firerated just leds, the firerated ones he was talking about where for the ceiling in the living area which has the bathroom and bedroom above :oops:

"They said it would be OK to compromise the insulation?" Nope see above

I was having a bad day when BCO turned up as i had to sack the builder due him and his crew fecking up stuff which i have now spent the past 3 weeks correcting!! So i obviously didn't listen properly, sorry guys!

gingapete wrote........I was having a bad day when BCO turned up as i had to sack the builder due him and his crew f*****g up stuff which i have now spent the past 3 weeks correcting!! So i obviously didn't listen properly, sorry guys![/quote]

Did you sack the sparks aswell :unsure:

I despair.

Got a plan B?

Ever heard of fire rated and thermal rated downlights? Plus IP rated to stop the moisture from going through.

I dispair reading your posts.

I plan on fitting MR16 LED lights into a loft conversion due to the hight and will have to cut away tje insulation. I also had to do this in my kitchen extension roof around my veluxes and it hasn't effected the heat loss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back