How many lights in a kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody any ideas how much lighting is needed in a largeish kitchen - about 15' square.

All I know is that we have 3 x D-type fluorescents (16W each) and it's not enough - is there a rule of thumb per square foot or metre?

I am tending towards low voltage halogen lights but again can anybody tell me the pros and cons of the various types or suggest a good website.

I would like to keep the energy usage down, both for green reasons and also because our power bill is high enough already.

There will also be under-cabinet lighting to two sides.

Sponsored Links
personal choice.

how much too dark is it now, or would you like it twiceas bright as it is now?

if so double the amount of lights you have, and as for lecy bill stick with cfl's

Always make sure there is good light over the sink so that you are not working in a shadow when you are doing the washing up. (Come on, you know you love doing it!)

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking recessed spots at the moment and probably lots of small ones to avoid "puddles of light" but open to suggestions.

But we definitely need something better than the underfed glow-worms we have at the moment!

:evil: recessed SPOTS :evil: :LOL:

O.K with these type of fittings you will get pots of dark spots in places they are fitted and `ONLY` get light in a direct beam downwards.

If i fit spots in a kitchen i take a vertical line from the edge of the worktop/wall unit (whichever protrudes furthest from the wall) and come 6" into the room.That way you will get the best of the light along the worktops.
As its quite a large room to light your going to need a lot of lamps,so think about running a dedicated circuit from your consumer unit just for these lights.

Also keep in mind this work falls under part P.

O.K with these type of fittings you will get pots of dark spots in places they are fitted and `ONLY` get light in a direct beam downwards.

Maybe not then :( , but what alternatives are there to spread the light about?

Pendants don't seem very practical in a kitchen, but there are obvious advantages (wiring-wise) in just replacing the three units I have with something providing more light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back