Kitchen lighting - to dispense with fluorescent tube or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently refitting a kitchen which measures 3.4 x 2.5 metres (11' x 8'6'), which is currently lit by a 1.5 m (5') long fluorescent strip light. The wife wants to dispense with the strip light and install a more stylish looking set of 4 spot lights, but does not want a darker kitchen. How many conventional incandescent light bulbs or halogen or tungsten spot lights would I need to match the fluorescent light output?

Sponsored Links
its not so much as how many its also where you put them.

a flourescent light lives out light along its entire lenth and around 180 degrees, spotlight create a spot (now thats origonal) so 4 may be above the wattage of your current light but the light distribution will be totaly differnt.

also the colour temperature of the two lights is differnt.

if you take a pic under florescent light you will get a green tinge

if you take a pic under incandescent lamps you will get an orange tinge

Why not keep flu, and fit recessed lighting on another gang?

That way, you can have either.

you can't beat striplights for even high output high efficiancy lighting. on the other hand they look ugly and some people find them hard on the eyes.

if you wan't the best work lighting you should seriously consider lighting under the wall cupboards directly onto the worktop, this will keep the light (whatever type you choose, be it easy on the eyes incandescent or efficiant flourescent) where you need it.

Sponsored Links
I stuck a row of 4 halogens in place of a 5 foot strip light and apart from the lack of light they obviously don't last as long and cost more to replace!!!
I left them in place and put the strip light along the top of the cupboard units - the light reflects off the ceiling see. While the spots are still there all bulbs have gone and they never get used!!!

Whatever you do you will want the even bright light of a strip light as mentioned above so I say leave it be!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back