How many props...

Is there a risk-asessment form for going to the toilet? - if not, there will be one day!.

Joking apart, the H&S ethos is a worrying trend long-term. While not wishing to expose people to unnecessary risks, in the developed world we may be bringing up generations who are incapable of using initiative.
Many older members here will remember that as kids we would clinb trees, put pennies on railway lines, and wander around building sites when the men had gone home; we are still here.

Sponsored Links
I whole heartedly agree with all of your post above. We can not be wrapped up in cotton wool and must allow common sense to prevail. I myself grew up in the construction industry when removing Asbestos was perfectly acceptable with no licence nor PPE. Access for working at height was an operative stood on the forks of a forklift. etc. The more weight you could lift was a sign of how manly you were. You must agree that with legislation and guidance now on the increase fatalities and major injuries has reduced. Surely doing "high risk" activities under these guidances should be paramount.

Last edited:
I can't see what's wrong with this...

rockefeller-beam-workers-lunch-construction.jpg

I think shirts, flannels and waistcoats should be a standard requirement to get on site.

No tracksuit bottoms

Sponsored Links
Tony 1851 I may have to report you to the velux police as that picture you have posted does not look like it meets building regs :D

The guys in the wonderful photo are not native American. The highrise buildings of New York were, and are, raised by the Ironworkers union local composed mostly of Mohawk & Iroquois.

The Iroquois in particular cross the US/Canadian border at will - the Migra have finally given up, & accepted that its the Iroquois right to move across their own lands.

The Nation people used to, & hopefully still do, bring young 14 yrs old Braves with them to learn the trade from their family - meaning all the tribal guys on site.

The men police themselves esp. with ref. to that curse of the "Indian" and the Irish: alcohol.

All the building trade workers give them the greatest respect. No higher praise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back