How much bigger than the floor should new carpet be, size-wise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room that measures, skirting board to skirting board, exactly 3000mm x 2750mm, plus I need to add 50mm to the longer dimension for the doorway inset.

I have a local Carpet Barn which, like all, sells ready cut pieces of carpet.

Q1: How much bigger than the floor dimensions given should the carpet be so it can 'tuck' in underneath the skirting? and

Q2: When the carpet shop states, say '3m x 3.75m' (or whatever), obviously the 3m is a standard width but is is actually 3m on the dot? So I'd need to buy a 4m width just for the extra 50mm of the doorway inset?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a room that measures exactly 3000mm x 2750mm, plus I need to add 50mm to the longer dimension for the doorway inset.

Q1: How much bigger than the floor dimensions given should the carpet be so it can 'tuck' in underneath the skirting? and

Q2: When the carpet shop states, say '3m x 3.75m' (or whatever), obviously the 3m is a standard width but is is actually 3m on the dot? So I'd need to buy a 4m width just for the extra 50mm of the doorway inset?

Lay your carpet the other way, ie buy one at 3m by 3.1m, and cut the 250mm off one side and the 50mm of the end.

Sponsored Links
Your right, the above solution would result in a cross seam and the pile running the wrong direction resulting in the carpet looking two different shades. As a general rule, the trade would allow 10cm in width and length where ever possible, it's mainly to account for 'out of true' walls rather than any tucking under skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back