how much damage will a water leak into cavity wall do? 1 litre/hour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A pipe next to my mains entry pipe is leaking, and I'm not sure where the water is going but it's definitely not spreading out on the kitchen floor where the pipe comes in, I suspect it's running down the hole made for the mains pipe which goes through the cavity wall on its way to connecting to the mains supply outside. If it's dripping into the cavity what's the likely damage? I've turned the water off now to stop it, only turning it on for an hour or so a day to refill buckets and bottles and for everyone to have a shower. Looking on the outside, the exterior bricks near the leak do look wetter than the surrounding bricks (all below the DPC thankfully). I've measured the amount of leakage by looking at the meter and it's about 20ml a minute.

Sponsored Links
Do you know how long this has been happening? Others here are prob a bit more experienced and hopefully will respond but I'd say as long as you get it fixed reasonably soonish it is unlikely to have caused much long term issues, things should eventually soak away / dry out.

Sponsored Links
If it's being metered, tell the Water Company, they might make an allowance for it.
Of course, then you'll be 'on the clock' to fix it.
What kind of supply pipe is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back