How much damge have I done?

• Thread starter confidentincompetent
  • Start date
C

confidentincompetent

Hi. erm I am in deep ****. My camcorder (several weeks old) I stupidly managed somehow to plug firewire cable the wrong way round into p/c!!!.
I was so carefull the first time as I had read about this in instructions.
However the camcorder now can't be detected by p/c :oops: AnyIdeas how much damage I have done and has my action also messed up pci card.
The rest of cam works ok on t/v and thro capture card (analouge) ok
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I know i shouldnt drink and p/c at same time !!

Sponsored Links
That must have take some doing as they normally only fit one way, unless you exert a lot of force. Try a new cable, if that fails a new slot on the PCI card, if taht fails a new card, if that doesn't work then a new camera on the household insurance. ;)

Yea!! think it might be cause its a cheapo card, ulead £18 with firewire :oops: Took out card and stuck another in tonight as 1st one worked ok b4. I fiddled with the faulty one on bench and cable does go in wrong way quite easily. as I say its cheap and think plug/socket metal is too soft!!. Anyway cam still U.S sooooo lost another £18 :oops:
Cheers anyway .

Leave the cable plugged in to PC ... :idea:

Sponsored Links
empip said:

Hmm yeah! If I ever get round to using it again I'll do that suppose when not in use will need to put a bit of tape round it ? I was being too tidy :cry:
I was wondering if annyone else had done this and how far into the camera/ gadget had been fried? and if it's got some sort of fuse in that area to safeguard against wrong connection? Or. am I the only one in the land who's done this? Wife always says I'm one in a million :confused:

confidentincompetent said:
empip said:

Hmm yeah! If I ever get round to using it again I'll do that suppose when not in use will need to put a bit of tape round it ?

Elastic band ? And/Or placed without tight 'folds or bends' inside a tube, cardboard or other non-abrasive, smooth edged material ?

Purpose made 'cable tidy' ?

Continue plugging and unplugging 'til the thing is worn out or broken again ?

Just sling the f/wire on the desktop and forget about it ?

Sumajin Smartwrap
sw01.jpg

Or modify a secondhand dog-bone, based on the Sumajiin..

;)

You can also cause damage if you plug/unplug when firewire devices are live/turned on, always make sure they are off first

Back