How much damp can new plaster take?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just had a new ceiling put up and skimmed in a room. In the incredibly heavy rain I have noticed one edge want dark again after drying, there must be a small leak in the roof we had never noticed.

It's really not the weather to be up on a roof but I'm picturing a puddle on my brand new plasterboard and wondering if that was money down the drain?

Will getting wet a few times ruin it, or is it only prolonged damp... Weeks or months... That will cause it to fail?

Sponsored Links
At the moment the damp stain won't cause any longterm damage - though you may need a stainblock before the final coat of emulsion goes on.

However - the cause of the problem needs addressing NOW or as soon as it's safe to do so.

Thanks... Great timing!

Weirdly it's been raining for about a week straight but only in the really stupidly heavy rain has it got damp. In between it's dried up while still raining so I hope it's something we might be able to at least address quickly now and return to in spring.

There's lots of roof sealer products that can be painted on even in damp conditions that may provide a temporary fix.

Sponsored Links
Wasn't aware of that thanks @sparkwright I'll look into it.
I'm hoping it'll be obvious where the water is getting in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back