How much does carpet + underlay compress?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I'm going to get the "it depends" answer but I thought I'd ask in case there is anyone more experienced than I in this matter.
I'm building a new desk over a carpet and underlay floor covering. The desk top is supported along the back and one end by battens on the wall leaving the other two sides unsupported. I'm going to attach a leg in the unsupported corner but will need to cut it to size. I can measure the floor to batten height but am concerned that over time the carpet and underlay will compress leaving my carefully measured and cut leg wobbling about.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The leg should have an adjustable foot. If not you would just pack it as required.

Also, it depends.

It's a chunk of wood at the moment so doesn't have an adjustable foot. I'm going to cut it to length and so wouldn't want to pack it as I have the opportunity to get it right (maybe) now.

Whatever length you cut it will be too short after the carpet and underlay compress with time. Easy enough to fit adjustable foot.

Sponsored Links
It compresses 0.87% of its total thickness per year for the first two years reducing to 0.23% per year for years three to seven and 0.09% for years eight to eleven. I have no data going back further than that. I hope this helps. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back