How much for labour for an 8-9m retaining wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been really struggling to get help with a concrete block retaining wall. It's on a slight slope in our garden and we're wanting to level it for a garden office.

It would be 8-9m long and 90cm high. It would need a concrete base and a bit if block foundation. The ground is soil then about 10 inches down clay. The ground is clear. It will probably need to be twin skin.

We've been trying to get someone to just do the wall. We had a guy come and say it would take about a day for two of them to come do the wall, but he didn't have time. Then we've had quotes from two other guys that it will take two of them about a week.

Why is there a 5 times difference in how long people think it will take? We're struggling to understand the huge jump in price.

How long should a twin skin 8-9m block wall take to base and lay?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Rule of thumb for mass retaining walls is the thickness should be about 1/3 of the height, so at the base it ought to be a block on it's side + one vertical.

Lots of threads on retaining wall construction on the forum and how to minimise blown render etc.

Rule of thumb for mass retaining walls is the thickness should be about 1/3 of the height, so at the base it ought to be a block on it's side + one vertical.

Lots of threads on retaining wall construction on the forum and how to minimise blown render etc.
Unfortunately some times the hammer hits your thumb and that hurts

Really it all sounds a bit vague, you need an actual design that they can follow, then you'll get like for like quotes. I would think a day or so for setting out and excavating the trench, is there digger access? Cast the foundation the next day, then a day or so to build the wall, then another day or so for rendering and capping if applicable. Note the job may need to be split into chunks, you shouldn't really build your wall until your foundation has cured a bit. Also be wary of your planning permission, if you're building on made up ground, the 'ground level' used is the existing one before you excavate.

Thanks for the helpful comments. @Freddie that sounds very sensible, where could I find a reliable design from? I don't want to have to employ an architect to create it as things are very tight.

And then Gooogle this to see what may be required for a proper design. "The Design of Brickwork Retaining Walls"

Attachments

• s-design-of-brickwork-retaining-walls.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back