how much for the following

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
replacement double glazing unit (supply and fit) just the unit

size 210 x 80 x 40 for our lean to conservatory

i look at a few prices online and it seems around the 70.00mark

are taking the beading off problomatic on a old window???

thanks

Sponsored Links
If its a standard timber frame using glass beads, then no real problem other than care and patience.
You'll need a broad blade chisel, hammer and a pair of pincers to pull out the sprig nails.
If the beads do snap, Wickes etc have ready moulded sections in soft or hardwood.
John :)

Ok, no problem - so long as the glazing beads don't break!
Professional window fitters have remarkable skill in removing these without marks or damage and they could see to your window in 1/2 hour.
Usually its sticky both sides tape thats used to keep the pane in place.
Although the glass beads are more forgiving in warmer weather, they still tend to get brittle, presumaby due to uv light action.

Sponsored Links
how much do you think i should be charged for fitting if the window comes up at around 70.00 looking on line? thanks

Thats impossible for me to say - its only 1/2 hours work so long as nothing goes wrong.
Why not use a local guy? He'll measure, order and fit the unit for you, and I'm sure his charges will be reasonable. Thats what I do every time, and I've always been more than happy with the price. I don't think he'd take too kindly to me supplying the DG unit though!

have contacted a few companies all quote around 70.00 for the panel just waiting for hear back from 3 companies for them to price for the work to be carried out

so if they measure it wrong its there fault
if they stuff up the beading its there problem

lets hope they dont charge much :)

least i know how much the glass is :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back