How much gas to felt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to torch felt 18m^2 for a flat roof. It'll only be the cap sheet - How much gas will I require ? And does it matter if its butane or propane ?

Sponsored Links
Bizarre question.:(
How so ? I am wondering whether I should get a 7kg or 13kg propane tank (or possibly larger) but since Ive never done so much felt before I am not sure which size is best suited for the job at hand.

Sponsored Links
This is one of those things, in my have-a-go roundtuit box. I bought a torch, adjustable regulator, and gas, decades ago - with the intention to have a go at some time, but never did, and never researched doing it....

Is torch-on felt different to ordinary felt?

Up to you. If the pipes on your torch are short I'd go with 7kg (a 13 might be a bit of a struggle up a ladder).
Def have an extinguisher next to you ready to go (not in the van), ideally have an assistant on fire watch inside the room you are roofing.

You can sort of do the maths - a quick Google shows that a roofing torch seems to go through 6-8kg per hour. So guestimate how long it'll take you - though torching a roof on is not something I'd just be having a go at. I'm pretty sure you'll need propane, it's all high pressure and I don't believe there is a HP system for butane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back