How much haunching can I cut away?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

IMG_20240401_114541.jpg

IMG_20240401_114553.jpg

We have 3 diamonds on the middle of our tarmac driveway to allow drainage into the soakaway.

I'm fed up of putting the gravel back in when the cars are moved about, I'm thinking about putting gravel grids inside the diamonds to contain the gravel, to do so neatly I'd like to cut the concrete haunching flush inside the diamonds, will doing this seriously compromise the strength of the concrete retaining the block pavers? I obviously don't want these coming loose and moving.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

View attachment 338812
View attachment 338813

We have 3 diamonds on the middle of our tarmac driveway to allow drainage into the soakaway.

I'm fed up of putting the gravel back in when the cars are moved about, I'm thinking about putting gravel grids inside the diamonds to contain the gravel, to do so neatly I'd like to cut the concrete haunching flush inside the diamonds, will doing this seriously compromise the strength of the concrete retaining the block pavers? I obviously don't want these coming loose and moving.

Thanks
Chris
Do the right thing - tarmac the diamonds. Gravel will still migrate.

Ultimately she wants the diamonds filled with resin finish but it'll probably be at least 18 months off, the gravel grids are just a temporary measure, a mate has a full drive with them and he reckons he gets very little migration, I just need to find a way to neatly finish them to the edges if I can't make the haunching square to them

Sponsored Links
Remove the concrete fit a plastic edge restraint system.

or

Mix a strong "no-fines" mix and lay that around the border then clean the top with a bit of weak acid to expose the gravel.

Believe me it's on a huge list of other stuff but it's still something that needs dealing with

It may be there as drainage. If you replace it with anything non-porous or less porous then you may get flooding.

Check with a long level, the tarmac patches may all slope towards the gravel.

I know the tarmac drains into it, I dug the soakaway that's under it before the drive was laid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back