how much heat does a cylinder hold?

There is a company making these, with a relay controlled 80amp set of immersion heaters.

I recall the storage capacity was around 3000 litres and it had, unsurprisingly, thick insulation. I was asked to quote for removing it and fitting an oil condenser. We didn't get the job; frankly, I was relieved because this thing was enormous and the house had been reconstructed around it.

The customer found the running costs crippling even on Eco7 (which is of course what it was designed for), and the heat, as Mr Hailsham suggests, on colder days was used up by 7pm. At this point you can switch the immersions over to peak rate, and start paying 3-4 times more for the electricity. I was the only heating person round who could explain how it worked, which was worrying.

Anyway, mr cowboy Plumber, you are reinventing something and I think you would not be able to buy an unvented with a large enough capacity. Furthermore an unvented would be fabricated to withstand high pressures, which would be incredibly expensive for a unit of this size, and would not have enough immersion heater bosses. So just use an insulated tank, forget the unvented, that is ridiculous. Then you would need to build the contactors for the control system.

And the house would still be cold after 7pm.

I suggest you transfer your thoughts to inventing something we could fit under heavy loads to avoid carrying them.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies guys and I take on board what you are saying.
The reason for electric is the cabin is going to be my dear old pa's home on the range and has no mains gas.
He'll be dead before any renewbles even pay for themselves.
My eco man tells me that out of oil, lpg etc electric is the cheapest form of energy.
I want to reinvent the wheel:
a: cos thermal stores cost a fortune to buy
b: they are horrificly complicated and frighten me

i would like to just use high efficiency coils, blending valve for dhw, pump, econ 10 immersions, boost immersions. And erm thats it..

My dear old pa is a war baby so dont mind wearing an extra cardy and scarf.

I am just trying to design a system that takes advantage of off-peak electric, is simple to use and maintain...
Cheers pardners

cowboyplumber wrote

I am just trying to design a system that takes advantage of off-peak electric

Underfloor heating and a heat pump. :idea:

Cheers, but:

Not allowed to use concrete on the site as it's out on the range.

All wooden construction on suspended floors.

Don't have spare 10 grand lying about.

Sponsored Links
Sadly, I didnt.
It was 17 grand.
Went over today to put underground in for poo eater and show him how to work borehole, Pa is as chuffed as a puff with two bum holes to have running water at his shack ;)

About 7k maximum in my neck of the woods for a bore well completed with Grundfos gear and accumulator tanks. :!:

Aye, this is why I have taken over managing the project for him.
need to 'win' him back some money... :cry:
I'm going to have to build the rest of his shack for him meself..

Can you post a picture of this shack. ?.
Sounds interesting.

An eco build project ?.
Their was one of these on grand designs a while back.

simond said:
I suggest you transfer your thoughts to inventing something we could fit under heavy loads to avoid carrying them.
An apprentice?

PTheMischievousApprentice.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back