How much is "Up to"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a can of Polycell expanding foam to fill a large hole in a wall and the can said "Produces up to 15 litres of foam"

Well, 15 litres is about 3 gallons so I envisaged 3 x 1 gallon cans side by side and that was nearly double what I required.

However I could only complete half the job with the contents of the can, so what tolerance should one allow for this marketing "up to" hype?

If I bought a bag containing up to 20 potatoes, I would expect at least 18 so Polycell's claim seems outrageously inaccurate.

Am I being unreasonable?

Sponsored Links
did you spray with water to help it expand?

'Up to' refers to perfect conditions which will not be achieved in general usage. :cry: If you used in a confined space the expansion would have been hindered and so the volume.

The site was a horizontal slot in brickwork where I had removed 2 courses in a wall.

The whole area was liberally sprayed with water before commencement.

The can was shaken the required number of times.

I take your points about optimum working conditions but they are not clearly explained on the can.

Nevertheless, I estimate I got less than 8 litres of cured foam which I consider to be less than I had a right to expect.

To confirm my complaint, the shop I purchased the product from kindly gave me another can and it STILL did not completee the job!

I would also add that I had a 5 litre can to hand to estimate the volume of the job.

Back to the original question: What percentage of a quantity can one expect within the "up to" get-out clause?

Sponsored Links
The smaller the area the more dense it will be.
The foam that insulates a fridge if put in a plastic bag is huge, when inserted in the mould of the fridge, it cannot expand & so is dense which equals beter insulation.
So the volume is related to the density.

There was every opportunity for the foam to expand to its maximum potential and I would have expected the foam to ooze out of the hole once it had filled it.
As I said, I would have reluctantly accepted 50% of the claimed figure but it wasn't even that.

Foam was confined to hole in brickwork therefor becomes more dense as it cures very rapidly, you would have to empty the can onto the floor in a long narrow trail to achieve the maximum expansion. :confused:

up to can mean anything, if there was more you could complain

The smaller the area the more dense it will be.
The foam that insulates a fridge if put in a plastic bag is huge, when inserted in the mould of the fridge, it cannot expand & so is dense which equals beter insulation.
So the volume is related to the density.

Also
I forget to mention temperature will have a big effect on the volume

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back